Need help choosing a motherboard

vkihyone

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
My computer is rather old (at least 5 years) it an HP pavilion a430n that I've modified, I've upgraded the graphics card to an NVIDIA GeForce 6200 256mb and the hard drive and was thinking of upgrading the motherboard to a Biostar MCP6P-M2 Motherboard with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Processor 2.60GHz OEM. What I want to know is if the rest of the hardware is compatible with this motherboard, my current processor is an AMD Athlon XP 3200+. any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Whoa that would be Socket A and you can't use your RAMs as those chips run on DDR and an x2 5k runs on DDR2 so new mobo+ram for you :p That Biostar is an el cheapo choice if you just fixing up a net/office or a kid's 1st rig but for gaming i'd look at at least a 770chipset on SB700 with a juicy PCIex16 2.0 slot! Newegg has some stunning AMD+Mobo deals now and have a look at the x7 7750 Black Edition + Biostar TA790GX A2+ combo for the features and price! A recent full config based off that combo i mentioned ^^
6xx.jpg

vkihyone

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
so would I have to replace anything else besides the ram if I went with the black edition + Biostar TA790GX A2+ ? I'm trying to spend as little money as possible though $200 is not too bad.

Well i am thinking your old GPU is AGP but this mobo comes with integrated HD3300 which is better than your old AGP GPU anyways so if you ultra tight get by on the integrated video first hehe Perhaps you could reuse your PSU, casing and ODD, HDD

vkihyone

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
the HDD is actually the newest part in the computer, though it isn't an SATAII, actually it is my hope that I can reuse the majority of my old system (whats left of it) in reality the only parts that are still part of the original system is the sound card the case the dvd rom the mob and cpu, all the other stuff is newer.