Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P5Q-E motherboard question

Last response: in Motherboards
June 26, 2009 7:17:48 PM

I am confused on what you cant do with the 3 PCIe 2.0 x16 slots on this board. What I want to do is put 3 of the same PCIe 2.0 x16 video cards on this motherboard (not in crossfire) so I can run a total of 6 monitors. Can this be done. Thanks.
June 28, 2009 1:58:55 AM

it has 3 :o 

never knew that

i would run in corssfire as it is a crossfire borad or the cards will take a smashing depedning. what you get better idea is you can have two screesn (on crossfire) and one Nvida card as phiyscs
a b V Motherboard
June 28, 2009 3:55:21 PM

You can install 3 cards, as long as you can squeeze them all onto the board with adequate cooling.
However, they will not run at X16. The P45 chipset has a total of 16 lanes available, so it will be divided between the three slots. I think it will be X8, X4, X4.
Each PCI-E slot is X16, singly not together.
Related resources
June 28, 2009 10:17:58 PM

thanks guys, im trying to choose between the Asus P5Q-E and the GIGABYTE
GA-EP45-UD3P. The most important part of this build is to make it as stable as possible. I will be using this for day trading (not gaming), so time is money and a crash would really hurt me. If I got the Gigabyte I would have to put the third card in the PCI or the PCI X1 slot. Does anyone know of a good PCIe x1 slot video card. I was looking at the work station PCIe x1 boards and I found that they are really expensive and they have bad reviews. But they cant do 2 or 4 monitors from one card!!!!!! Any ideas with what motherboard I should go with and comments on the PCIe x1 slot video cards. One last question. Would you only put ATI video cards on these motherboards. Thanks.
June 28, 2009 10:59:58 PM

That video card is amazing. The only quad DVI card I saw before that one was the qudro and it was really expensive. I think I will go with the Gigabyte and the 4850. I am assuming that PSU is for two of the 4850 cards. How much power do you think I need to safely run one of those? It says 650w but I want to make sure it's really stable. Thanks for your help, that card is like the light at the end of the tunnel for me.
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2009 2:32:31 AM

I sometimes post on the fly while at work from the laptop, and fail to be clear. :p 

Yes, the Corsair 1000W was for two cards, as you had mentioned 6 monitors I thought.

A high end 650W will be all you need. Corsair 650TX would be fine. It's also one of the quietest PSUs around.
June 29, 2009 3:18:54 PM

Proximon said:
I sometimes post on the fly while at work from the laptop, and fail to be clear. :p 

Yes, the Corsair 1000W was for two cards, as you had mentioned 6 monitors I thought.

A high end 650W will be all you need. Corsair 650TX would be fine. It's also one of the quietest PSUs around.

Proximon, thank for all your help. Could you recomend some memory recomendations for the ud3p. I would like to do some light gaming, movie watching but 90% will be 2d spread sheets and graphs. Would you go with the memory Gigabyte recomendsor other memory on the market now? What about speed and size? Thanks for all your help.
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2009 5:55:43 PM

Did you just need 4GB? Probably, I doubt anything you are doing is memory intensive.

There are two versions of the UD3P, one DDR2 and one DDR3. Because of the limitations of the P45 chipset with all 4 memory slots filled, if you needed 8GB I would recommend DDR3.

However, 4GB DDR2:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
That's all you need at stock speeds or conservative overclocks.
June 29, 2009 6:49:50 PM

Which MOBO do you think is more stable w/all four slots filled and w/only two slots filled. I can't help but notice that the DDR2 version is more popular and gets better review but if I need 8 GB in the future I would hate for my system to get glitchy(unstable). Also, would it matter that the video card (4850 X2) is DDR3 and the MOBO is DDR2. I hate to keep asking so many questions but I use this computer for work and this is my first build. I would like it to be as smooth as possible. Thanks.
!