Sign in with
Your question

I7 boards - So much to read - so hard to choose!

Last response: in Motherboards
June 26, 2009 7:48:47 PM

So i'm looking for a "buget" i7 board, I've read the internet (all of it I'm pretty sure) and my brain now hurts.

I think I've narrowed it down to 2 or 3 board in the $200 price range but I'm having a hard time deciding which one would be best for me. I plan on seating it with a 920 and dropping a noctua heat sink/fan in and over clocking the machine. I already have a GTX 275 waiting and an 850W NZXT power supply.

What do you guys think?

MSI x58 Pro
Foxconn Flaming Blade
Gigabyte UD3R

The only other boards I saw in the $200 range (CAD) is some weird "Jetway" board... Thinking I'll avoid that one.. and an Asrock that I'm not very fond of...

Thoughts?
June 28, 2009 12:19:09 AM

no to MSI the foxconn yes or gigabyte
June 29, 2009 6:09:49 PM

So should I flip a coin or what :o ?

Any reason why one would be better then another?
Related resources
June 29, 2009 6:17:31 PM

WRCS said:
So i'm looking for a "buget" i7 board, I've read the internet (all of it I'm pretty sure) and my brain now hurts.

I think I've narrowed it down to 2 or 3 board in the $200 price range but I'm having a hard time deciding which one would be best for me. I plan on seating it with a 920 and dropping a noctua heat sink/fan in and over clocking the machine. I already have a GTX 275 waiting and an 850W NZXT power supply.

What do you guys think?

MSI x58 Pro
Foxconn Flaming Blade
Gigabyte UD3R

The only other boards I saw in the $200 range (CAD) is some weird "Jetway" board... Thinking I'll avoid that one.. and an Asrock that I'm not very fond of...

Thoughts?

of the three, gigabyte is the brand that i recognize the most as a reliable brand (note the fact it's what i see, not the actuality of these boards), foxconn has a bad rep, and MSI is more budget orientated, where as you can find high end gigabyte stuff that has nice reviews...

but i would suggest googleing reviews on all three of them in order to find out, if not read up on some of their other offerings to get a hint at what is good or bad
June 29, 2009 7:47:10 PM

well sorry guys but u forget another one wish is ASUS from P6T DELUXE to RAMPAGE II EXTREME even to a micro ATX BOARD RAMPAGE II GENE the P6T DELUXE is in the budget and she is the benchmark off all I7 boards but its up to u t.c all bye bye.
June 29, 2009 9:23:49 PM

tarek0:
I don't think a micro atx board will take my GTX 275's very comfortably. The P6T Deluxe is $100 more then the other options!

theholylancer:
I've googled reviews on all 3 boards and they all seem to have gotten pretty decent from pretty much everywhere. I agree with what you said about gigabyte being more reputable. Do you know if the UD3R supports SLI though? I think I read somewhere that it doesn't?
June 30, 2009 1:59:10 PM

just get a 100$ more & get the mighty ASUS P6T DELUXE that must be ur n1 choice t.c alla bye bye.
July 13, 2009 7:09:18 PM

if your in range of the P6T deluxe, the evga stuff has lifetime warranty and thats killer deal for an OC board (for me) as long as you get the ones with lifetime and not get semi-scammed like I did over my order

also about sli, as long as x58 is properly configured by the mobo manuf, they should support sli and CF, call them to ask if you want for final word tho

July 13, 2009 7:54:33 PM

theholylancer said:
if your in range of the P6T deluxe, the evga stuff has lifetime warranty and thats killer deal for an OC board (for me) as long as you get the ones with lifetime and not get semi-scammed like I did over my order

also about sli, as long as x58 is properly configured by the mobo manuf, they should support sli and CF, call them to ask if you want for final word tho

You do realize "lifetime warranty" in the computer business means lifetime of the product being sold by the manufacturer, not the lifetime ownership of the one who buys the product. The average lifetime on most "lifetime" warranted computer parts these days is more like 1 or 2 years at best. The terms of the warranty must be read to confirm one way or the other. I don't buy based on "lifetime" warranties anymore because it is deceiving legal talk.

http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/

This limited lifetime warranty is valid for the life of the retail product, so long as the original purchaser owns the product...

Most manufacturers use the same exact or similar language and terms. That is they key phrase that covers the manufacturers arse. The life of the retail product means once the product is no longer being manufactured and sold retail, the warranty is null and void for all intensive purposes, with few exceptions.

This could be anywhere from 6 months to a year or two at best. The best warranty is one that has a specified time frame such as 1yr (sound cards, optical drives, etc), 2 yrs (some keyboards, mice and floppy drives), 3 yrs (boxed processors, motherboards, some computer cases and psu's) and 5yrs (mid-high end hard drives). Memory is the one computer part most often associated with lifetime warranties, although memory typically lasts through several "life of the retail product" cycles. Don't fall for the lifetime warranty cr@p. :-) Just my 2 cents.

-- MaSoP
July 14, 2009 5:53:33 PM

masop said:
You do realize "lifetime warranty" in the computer business means lifetime of the product being sold by the manufacturer, not the lifetime ownership of the one who buys the product. The average lifetime on most "lifetime" warranted computer parts these days is more like 1 or 2 years at best. The terms of the warranty must be read to confirm one way or the other. I don't buy based on "lifetime" warranties anymore because it is deceiving legal talk.

http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/

This limited lifetime warranty is valid for the life of the retail product, so long as the original purchaser owns the product...

Most manufacturers use the same exact or similar language and terms. That is they key phrase that covers the manufacturers arse. The life of the retail product means once the product is no longer being manufactured and sold retail, the warranty is null and void for all intensive purposes, with few exceptions.

This could be anywhere from 6 months to a year or two at best. The best warranty is one that has a specified time frame such as 1yr (sound cards, optical drives, etc), 2 yrs (some keyboards, mice and floppy drives), 3 yrs (boxed processors, motherboards, some computer cases and psu's) and 5yrs (mid-high end hard drives). Memory is the one computer part most often associated with lifetime warranties, although memory typically lasts through several "life of the retail product" cycles. Don't fall for the lifetime warranty cr@p. :-) Just my 2 cents.

-- MaSoP

FYI, I got a replacement 7900GS for a 6800GT because the 6800GT died of heat issues, that's about 3 years after I brought the thing (the 6800GT had a after market HSF on it, but I changed it and returned the card back with original HSF). Not sure if this is a very special case since I've heard other ppl complaining about the 6800GT being hot, or if they just held up their part with out questions asked.
!