CD drive there, but computer pointing somewhere else

JSings2005

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Hello,
XP computer has 2 CD drives installed. One works fine the other is seeing the hard drive someplace. Looks "empty" when no CD present or drive it "open". How can I make it see the drive. I uninstalled the CD drive and reinstalled, same problem

You need to reword this a bit, a CD drive will be empty when there is no CD in it of-course. What do you mean by "seeng the hard drive someplace"? Are you saying Windows is not seeing the second CD drive at all? Did you reseat the cables when you say you uninstalled it, or just from Device Manager? Try new cables?

Post the exact steps you are doing, and what is happening, exactly. Don't paraphrase it, explain exactly what is happening on the screen.

JSings2005

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011

This is an internal CD RW drive, that used to work. Used to write disks.

First Problem: Could not write a CD. Error problems.

Second step: I put in a music CD to play and it didn't play. ( It plays in the other CD Drive)

Third Step: I pulled the CD out. With no CD in it or the door open instead of showing the "insert disk" window, it shows a window like a folder that exists, calls it the CD RW Drive F: but the folder is blank. I should be getting the "Insert disk" window ..... It's like the computer is looking somewhere besides that CD drive F: not at the actual drive. There is no other CD RW drive in this computer. E: drive shows fine, it's a CD reader not a burner.

JSings2005

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011

I re-installed the DRIVERS not the drive, it's inside!