Sign in with
Your question

Just Upgraded CPU; Computer Won't Boot!

Last response: in CPUs
April 28, 2009 6:57:12 PM

Hey guys,

I just swapped out an Intel Core 2 DuO 2.67GHZ E6700 4M Cache 1066MHZ, and put in an Intel Core 2 Duo E8600.
The motherboard is a EVGA NForce 680I SLI MB.

When I turn the computer on I get power. The LEDs and fans all are running fine. However, I don't get any image on my monitor and I don't get the usually single beep my computer makes when I turn it on. I am wondering what the issue could be?

I appreciate the help, thank you!
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2009 7:22:09 PM

You need to make sure your mobo can run the e8600 and if it can you need to use the old cpu to upgrade the bios to allow the use of the new one, but it may not have support for e8600. Check their site and see if you can get a bios that allows it.
April 28, 2009 7:53:51 PM

I just put back in the old CPU so that I could do the BIOS upgrade. I still get the same failure with my old CPU. I hear the fans, see the lights light up, but the system won't boot, even with the old CPU installed.
Related resources
April 28, 2009 8:16:30 PM

Burke888 said:
I just put back in the old CPU so that I could do the BIOS upgrade. I still get the same failure with my old CPU. I hear the fans, see the lights light up, but the system won't boot, even with the old CPU installed.

Most likely you didn't plug the power cable into the video card. Check connections and seating of everything one more time.
April 28, 2009 9:26:14 PM

jalt said:
Most likely you didn't plug the power cable into the video card. Check connections and seating of everything one more time.

Thanks for the advice.
The two power cables running to the 8800GTX are plugged in fine.
Still the same problem.
April 28, 2009 11:49:24 PM

Check the motherboard makers site and look up your boards model number and see if you can support an E8600 after the latest BIOS update. If the site doesn't say that it supports the E8600 then your gonna have to return it.
a c 83 à CPUs
April 29, 2009 1:45:09 AM

Try pulling your battery out to reset the BIOS, that may get it working with the old CPU again. Than like others suggested get to your motherboard manufacturers website and update your BIOS, that'll allow you to use the new CPU if it's supported on your board.
April 29, 2009 2:11:45 AM

make sure the heatsink is on properly I have seen instances where a heatsink is not on tight and you get the black screen you are describing. Are you using a back plate or push pins?
April 29, 2009 2:37:34 AM

1tym said:
Are you using a back plate or push pins?

Thanks everyone for the advice. It's still not working though :cry:  .

I am using a back plate, but the plate became loose during installation and slide around on the underside of the motherboard. I was able to rock the entire case and finagled the back plate into place.
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2009 6:26:49 AM

Resetting cmos and making sure everything is plugged in especially the 4/8 pin cpu power and the cpu fan.
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2009 7:50:16 AM

Did you have the PC on at any point while the plate was loose behind the mobo. it could have shorted something if it was just floating around and out of place.
April 29, 2009 9:44:50 AM

Had the same problem every new rig i have ever built
a new power supply sorted the problem everytime
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2009 2:15:10 PM

Any beeps? Maybe one the RAM dimms came loose?
April 29, 2009 8:30:37 PM

Doubled checked and made sure everything was plugged in.
I also reset the CMOST and took out the little watch battery. Still, nothing worked.
Any more ideas?
April 29, 2009 8:38:10 PM

upgrade your motherboard to rule out CPU.
April 30, 2009 2:31:17 AM

blackpanther26 said:
upgrade your motherboard to rule out CPU.

I just ordered a new motherboard from New Egg. A processor upgrade has cost me more than anticipated.
May 17, 2009 6:32:40 AM

please let me know if the motherboard is the problem. I have had the same issue and don't know if its my power supply or motherboard or what I recently upgraded my processor and my motherboard should have handled it, but after I installed it along with a new videocard, and memory. I put the old video card in and removed the extra ram. put the old processor in and then it actually booted, but only stayed on for about 10 seconds before it shut itself down. now I can't get it to stay on. with the new quad core it runs, but wont boot. with the old processor it will boot but not stay on long. I can't figure it out so any information would greatly help me out.
!