Sign in with
Your question

USB hard drive

Last response: in Storage
August 6, 2010 2:03:17 AM

Hello, I plugged in a USB hard drive, 2.5", PC and notebooks running on vista business and XP Pro OS. Why are the computers can not display the external drive in "my computer", even if the computers detected the presence of the hard disk?

More about : usb hard drive

August 6, 2010 4:16:06 AM

check on some other pc.
m
l
August 6, 2010 6:06:36 AM

thats a stupid answer ive checked on alot of pcs and im having same issue ....
m
l
Related resources
August 6, 2010 6:23:02 AM

stabbie said:
thats a stupid answer ive checked on alot of pcs and im having same issue ....

wth are you talking about?

First control your tone.

secondly (if you're the thread starter) you didn't mention it so how can we know?
m
l
August 6, 2010 9:36:54 AM

Hi Fatal, it was connected to different PCs and different platforms. For your inform, i tried with PC with i7 and C2D processors, Apple Macbook Pro, and HP desktop PC. By the way, the hard drive inside the case, is a Fujitsu 2.5" mobile hard drive with SATA interface.
m
l
a c 375 G Storage
August 6, 2010 11:42:36 AM

Is it formatted? MacOS can't use NTFS, it will need to be FAT32.
m
l
August 6, 2010 11:48:46 AM

^ still it should have worked on one of the operating system.
m
l
a c 375 G Storage
August 6, 2010 12:35:55 PM

Fetal said:
^ still it should have worked on one of the operating system.

Not if it's "raw". It will not show up in windows explorer until it's formatted and assigned a drive letter.
m
l
a c 375 G Storage
August 6, 2010 12:38:18 PM

Also, in windows, does the drive show up in disk management? If not, the drive may be dead.
m
l
August 6, 2010 12:40:30 PM

why would it be raw? no company provides the drive with raw format. may be sata to usb converters issue. but lol its never raw, until unless he himself just did that.
m
l
a c 375 G Storage
August 6, 2010 1:08:40 PM

Fetal said:
why would it be raw? no company provides the drive with raw format. may be sata to usb converters issue. but lol its never raw, until unless he himself just did that.

I know manufactures don't ship them raw. Maybe it got too close to a magnetic source, who knows? I'm just trying to cover all the bases.
m
l
August 6, 2010 1:24:14 PM

that's is good of you to cover ground, but its not good of him not to tell all the things he did with the drive. don't you think its his responsibility to tell us?
m
l
August 14, 2010 1:26:24 AM

Hi everyone, i want to thank for all your answers. I had fixed the problem already. first i did some configuration to the storage management in the system management application of control panel. By converting the drive format. This should have worked with most external drives, but for mine. i still need to plugged in an external power source, which it was not needed before, from another USB port. By the way, everyone's effort are appreciated, we need not to be harsh to one another, we all in the same boat and trying to help and share our knowledge.
m
l
August 14, 2010 1:40:57 AM

for your information too, I did disassembled the external drive, and detached the mobile hard drive (SATA type) and installed it to another enclosure, still it was not working, but both external enclosures work well with other hard drive.
m
l
!