Sign in with
Your question

New build - some advice on HD sought

Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2009 3:03:15 PM

Hi, guys!

I'm building a new Core i7 system and would like some thoughts on a couple of hard drive options. Do you think it would be better to go with a 32GB SSD for my OS and a Velociraptor for my games, or is it better to just go with two Velociraptors in RAID 0 configuration?

FYI, I currently live in Japan which limits my component choices quite a bit. I just can't get some of the better parts I would like here, unless I pay an arm and a leg to have it shipped from the US. Sometimes parts are rebranded here in Japanm though - for example, several Thermalright items are rebranded under Scythe here. Though I am spending a lot of money on this system, I do not have an unlimited budget, and sometimes have to settle for the best I can get here. For example, its very hard to find EVGA cards here =(

My set up:

Antec 1200 case
Core i7 920 CPU (planning to o/c to ~3.8 GHz)
6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3
Asus Rampage II Extreme
1000W PSU
MSI GeForce GTX285
Scythe MugeN-2 CPU cooler

More about : build advice sought

January 30, 2009 4:05:31 PM

I think I'd prefer the SSD+one disk version, just to avoid RAID.

What kind of PSU?

January 30, 2009 4:17:34 PM

+1 to aevm's comments. Yes Raid 0 can be a bit faster, but on the same fact its easier to lose your data. That can be playing with fire. Twice the chance you'll lose all your data. Its like buying a no named 1000w psu. Sure might look great when you first get it, but in a week or two when it takes out all your compenents with it, it sucks. Hope your 1000w psu is like a crosair or Antec :) .
Related resources
January 30, 2009 4:26:38 PM

I actually haven't bought the PSU yet. I'm going to have to look in the store and see what the best brand I can get for a reasonable price will be. As I mentioned, sometimes a Japanese no-name company will rebrand a major name product and sell it at the generic price, and I can swear I saw a rebranded Seasonic 1000W PSU being offered for around US $225 . I'm going to have to verify that, though. The major name brands in 800+ watts are pretty rare here - and the ones they do have, when they actually have it in stock, usually retail for around US $420-500. I know the PSU is really important, so I have no intention of going cheap, but I don't want to spend $500 for one either. I should be able to get to a branch of the store tomorrow after work, so I'll update with the relevant PSU info after I get home.

Thanks for the vote!
January 30, 2009 4:28:46 PM

You're very welcome.

Just curious, how much is an i7 920 or a Velociraptor 150Gb in Japan? Probably a lot :( 
January 30, 2009 4:35:46 PM

Well the Core i7-920 is at about US $300, and the 150GB Velociraptor is around US $220 - these are quick currency conversions in my head mind you, so give or take a couple bucks either way. The CPU is not so bad, but the HD is quite a bit more than NewEgg sells it for - I could get the 300GB for that price from NewEgg =(
January 30, 2009 4:39:00 PM

LOL, in Canada it's $358 and $215 (NCIX, after conversion), plus 5% sales tax. I guess you're doing pretty good after all :) 
January 30, 2009 4:48:08 PM

Aye, guess I got very spoiled on prices when I lived in the US. Although, SSD prices are actually better here in Japan, which I assume is because this is a laptop society - only hardcore gaming enthusiasts use desktops here. I can get a 32GB SSD for around US $90. It's all kind of scattered pricing. Some things are quite a bit more expensive, and some are a little cheaper.
January 31, 2009 1:45:33 PM

OK i was able to get a look at the 1000W PSUs I can get here, and the choices are pretty limited. What do you think?

The Silverstone is a quality brand, and has a single 80A +12V rail, which should be very stable, but it's not modular and will have to be special ordered. It's also the most expensive of the three, so still pretty reasonable for here in Japan - about $300. The other two are local brands that are modular, 80+ Bronze, and Active PFC over multipe +12V 20A or 35A rails. They are both pretty darn heavy too, which usually (but by no means always) means quality. These two are about $210 (AQTIS) and $270 (Super Flower).

SilverStone OP1000-E 1000W ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

AQTIS G-PowerX AP-1000GLX80+

fficial%26hs%3DS7H" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://translate.google.co.jp/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=h...

Super Flower SF-1000R14HE

http://www.super-flower.com.tw/products_detail.php?dHlw...
January 31, 2009 2:43:29 PM

Also, on a side note, I decided to just go with a WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD for now. I'll wait a bit for the prices and capacities to improve on the SSDs before I grab one.
February 1, 2009 3:07:15 PM

I think the HDD change is a good idea.

The Silverstone is very good. I've never heard of the other two. I'm guessing they can't be that bad, if they're made in Japan, but you never know... Did you find any reviews for either of them?

February 1, 2009 4:47:23 PM

No. I Haven't seen any reviews for either of those - at least none in English. In the end, I finally found a place here where I could grab the well-regarded Corsair 750TX 750W PSU, and I got that one for my rig since I got advice in a separate thread I created in the power supply forum that 750W would be more than enough for my rig, and there were lots of great reviews for that PSU. The SilverStone was very tempting though - lots of good reviews on that one as well. In the end, the >$100 price difference made the decision for me.

As for the HDD change, a lot of people are real high on those WD Caviar Black drives. Since I'm not going for a best of the best style rig, but merely a great gaming rig, it just makes a whole lot more sense in the GB/$ ratio when I could pick that HDD up for just a bit over $100.

Now I only have to pick up the CPU, CPU Cooler, motherboard and case, which I will do in about a week, and my system will be ready for building. I'm still debating a bit about whether to get the R2E or P6T Deluxe, but considering I won't likely be able to build another system for about 3-4 years, I think I will have a bit more future flexibility and durability going with the R2E with its superior components. Here's what the build will end up being:

Antec 1200 case (going to add in the two optional fans as well)
ASUS Rampage II Extreme motherboard
Intel Core i7-920 CPU (planning to o/c to ~3..4-3.8 Ghz)
Scythe Mugen-2 CPU Cooler
Corsair 750TX 750W PSU
MSI GeForce GTX285 OC (planning to add a second GTX285 in SLI sometime in the next year or so)
26" Iiyama PLE2607-WS display
6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600
WD WD1001FALS 1TB Caviar Black HDD (primary)
Samsung HD-642J 600GB SATAII HDD (purely for data storage, not running apps)
Plextor PX-800A DVD-DL burner (from my previous build, but it's IDE, so I might pick up a SATA II instead)

Does that look like a solid build?
February 1, 2009 7:41:35 PM

It's beautiful :) 

!