No boot, no beeps, no picture

Lude2Envy

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Hey guys. I did several searches on the net and I'm still not able to troubleshoot this problem. I have built several systems in the past with no problems so I'm not sure what the problem is here.

I took an Asus A8V Deluxe MB, a AMD Athlon 3200 cpu, 550watt PSU, and 2 gigs of Corsair XMS PC3200 ram to put in my uncle's computer since he was running a old 1Ghz AMD T-Bird. Anyway, he wanted me to install a DVD burner he had purchased and I installed that first to back up his files with before I did the MB/CPU swap. After I installed it the computer wouldn't boot at all. No beeps, no picture, nothing. Anyway, I went ahead and put in the new hardware and went to boot up the computer but had the same problem again. I checked and rechecked EVERYTHING several times. I even tried clearing the CMOS and still nothing. I tried different video cards and different RAM modules and still nothing. I have no idea what is causing this problem now. His case is really old and crappy and I checked to see if somehow the MB was shorting out by touching the metal somewhere but I couldn't find anything. When I hit the power button all the fans turn on and the CD drives eject with no problem but I don't hear the HD spool up or anything. I tried 2 different monitors also.....both of which I know work and still nothing. I even tried using the old MB, CPU, Video Card, etc... and still nothing. I'm clueless. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Sounds like the PSU isn't doing its job. Is it an older multivolt 120v/240v with a volatge selector switch on the back? If it was accidentally bumped and switched to 220/240, the system will act as you describe what's happening with yours.

You'll probably have to break it down to just the mobo and CPU and short the fromt panel power on pins to see if it beeps.

Leopardos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
well , i have the same problem ATM.
before 1 week i gave up and sent my computer to the store ...
they came up with the MB which wasnt working due overheating "northbridge i guess" ...( Asus p5q-deluxe)
i had exactly the same problem ..
no boot no screen ,, just turned on pc without any thing ...
i also turned my computer on without the memory and the hard disk and got no beep sound .. just the same .
so check your motherboard ... it could be the problem ..
and BTW , no one knew my problem on the net ... either here or somewhere else ..
just send ur computer somewhere to check EACH PART of your pc( and ofc ur welcome to do it if u got replacement for each hardware) ... and if it works just work on the pc for 1 hour min. .
because the 1st time they checked it and got a screen .. i got my computer back home and stucked again after 1 min i logged to windows vista...

Good luck

TRENDING THREADS