Finally Building a Computer - Need Advice on How Hardcore to Go

TechPriestAcolyte

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Recently had a taste of good gaming power with a Velocity Edge computer, but had to return it because it didn't actually have a warranty, now I'd like to build my own. However, I'm trying to figure up how future proof I want to be.

I'm thinking two different schools of thought:

A - Build something around the Q6600 (or one of the newer ones) for 850'ish and just be happy. Probably talking a 9800gtx card, 4'ish gigs of RAM, blah blah blah. A nice computer that could play games good now, and ok later.

B - Build something more hardcore around the i7...

I'm mainly trying to avoid Vista if possible. I was originally going to just wait until Windows 7 and upgrade then, but a great deal on the Velocity came around so I bought it and whetted my appetite for a good computer.

The main reason I'm ancy now is cuz I've already got Left4Dead now which is nigh unplayable on everything else I have, and I really want to just play that on full graphics and kill some zombies.

BUT, if I'm going to go to the trouble of building a computer, should I go ahead and go more all out with things so everything will be good and ready for Windows 7? I know I'm going to have to ditch XP eventually, but I just don't keep up with the technology enough to know all the intricacies of what is compatible with what, etc. A friend yesterday was noting that certain video cards aren't even compatible with DX10, which I wasn't even considering.

Any general advice on this dilemma? I'm probably thining 1.2-1.5k total to build everything, I've already got a 26" monitor, HD and everything.

I just don't want to build something that when I finally roll over to Windows 7 is going to have problems, etc.

Urgh. Not sure how clear I'm being...

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Something to consider is that when Windows 7 when it goes live (only beta is out right now), will have support for dx11. currently no graphic cards support dx11. Even the best graphic cards out on the market.

If you wanted a 1.5k rig you could probally come close to the best thats out there.

Quick example run down: (sorry for no links)
EVGA x58 and EVGA gtx 295: $760 (combo deal at newegg.com)
CPU: i7 $295 (might find a good combo kit with the ram at newegg.com)
Ram: ~$150
Case and PSU: ~ 200(look for a good combo deal at newegg.com)
HD: WD Black $80

This adds up to around $1485
cd/dvd drive: $20 bucks.

This computer would be able to handle any current game that's out at the highest level of detail at 1900x1200. (not sure what is the resolution of your monitor...just taking a guess at 19x12).

runmymouth

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
If you are going Icore-7 or anything with more than 3 gigs of ram don't mess with xp 64 bit. Go vista, it is not having the issues it had when it was released. Not to mention that XP->7 is not an upgrade path according to microsoft. Vista->7 is doable as an upgrade path.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I'm a vista and xp user. I use both daily. I can say that I do enjoy vista more than xp. Also I can say that vista deserved the bad rep it got when it first came out. The horrible mess dealing with drivers and there was a ton of bugs really put a dent in its name. In general all these issues have now been worked out and is deffinatly an enjoyable OS to work with.

TechPriestAcolyte

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
So would it be better to get a cheaper video card and upgrade for windows 7?

Say... To hold me over for now:

CPU - Q9550
-xigmatek cooler

GPU - 9800 something nvidia

MOBO - Gigabyte p45, will this get outdated? Will it likely support a new dx11 card?

RAM - 4 gigs or so for starting, this is pretty general as far as I can tell unless I go i7, then I need some DDR3 right?

PSU - 650 watt something? Am I going to NEED to SLI someday and need more wattage?

How would that all generally go and translate into Windows 7? What will still be compatible?

I'm thinking now, not to bother spending 1500, since the cards are a big chunk of that right now, and I might as well wait for the new ones.