Badly Need Recomendations

GuiltySpark

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Hey folks. I am looking to build a new computer.

I have a budget of around £750 ($1,084.14 USD).

I would like to go with an Intel based machine, however I have no idea what CPU to base my build around. Should I go for an i7, Q6600 Quad Core or a Core 2 Duo?

The system will be used for quite a bit of gaming I guess, and I would like to hook 2 monitors up to it at some point.

Could you guys do what you do best, voice your suggestions and link to parts/builds, that would help me out so much. I am in the UK so I can't use Newegg, but please go ahead and link there.

I think at one point I'd like to add a secondary graphics card in there too in either Crossfire or SLi, that would be awesome.

I already have a 22" monitor that I was planning on using and a copy Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit, so I can save a bit of money there.

Many thanks for your help guys. Cheers.

Mrbumbum

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
With that budget i7 is out of the question.
If you want the best gaming performance you can get for today's current games go for core 2 duo.
If your looking for something thats more future proof, while still being good for today's games go for the quad
Windows Vista Home Premium
Antec 300
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
OCZ Platinum 4GB 1066
Western Digital Caviar Black 640gb
LG Black 22X dvd drive
Sapphire 4870 1gb
Corsair 650tx
Xigmatek Dark Knight
If you order before sale ends get the pc power and cooler if not get the 750tx by corsair
PC Power and cooling 750
Corsair 750tx

Total: $1,021.04

GuiltySpark

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I can get a i7 machine from Dell for £799 with the following specs:

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 920
512MB ATI® Radeon® 4850
4096MB (4x1024) 1067MHz DDR3 Tri Channel
750GB Serial ATA (7200RPM) Hard Drive

I thought it was a lot cheaper to build your own machine, if this is not the case, should I just get the Dell?

@ Mrbumbum. Excellent build, I even voted you up for it. However, it won't work. Here's why:

1. Newegg will not ship to the UK; things like the S75CF that are on great sales at newegg in the USA will not be available to him, at least not at those prices

2. You're assuming that something that costs US $108 in the USA would cost 75 British pounds in the UK, i.e. you're just using the currency conversion rate. Wrong. It will cost a lot more. They have huge prices and huge VAT on top of them.

(and I guess he can take out the 650tx if he gets one of the other two PSUs).

Let me try to find a quote for that build that actually works in the UK, then we'll see what can be trimmed to fit the budget.

GuiltySpark

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009

Thanks. I already have Vista Ultimate 64 Bit so I can knock that off the list. Can I ask why you suggest a Core 2 Duo as opposed to a Quad Core such as the Q6600?

Crucial Ballistix Tracer RED 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz 52 GBP
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-116-CR

Sh-S223F 16 GBP
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CD-099-SA

Antec 300 53 GBP
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-101-AN

If I got my numbers right, the total is now 879 pounds, and you didn't even get the fancy cooler. Sorry :(

The good news is that this setup can last for a long time. All you need to do is add a second video card whenever you can. It will get cheaper in time too.

Ah, great. I hadn't seen your post when I submitted the one above. OK, your total is now a bit under 800 pounds. I hope that's doable.

Why E8400 and not Q6600: a Q6600 would be better if you play FSX or GTA4, or if you compress DVDs or audio often. Apart from that, the E8400 would actually be better most of the time.

Liderc

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Some people feel that core 2 duo's are more appropriate if you're gaming because most games don't utilize more than 2 cores, but I would not buy a core 2 duo with it being 3 generations behind in technology.

Honestly, I would wait, intel is releasing new I7's that are more mainstream and cost much less and it's actually a different socket than the current I7's, which means there will be new cheaper motherboards as well.

The reason I suggest this is, I don't ever recommend buying old hardware unless a person needs a pc very quick and for low cost.

Say you build a core 2 duo this year and a new game comes out in 6 months that you really want to play and it utilizes quad cores, then you're out of luck and will be hurting for performance.

GuiltySpark

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009

How long will I be waiting roughly?

Roughly, forever. That's because when those CPUs appear you will be told to wait for i8, then i9, then i10, etc. Plenty of numbers there. Look, there will always be something newer and fancier round the corner.