Installing W7 on new solid state drive addition?

Hamburglar_ix

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
I just bought a 60gb solid state drive and the OEM system builders edition of Windows 7 64 bit.

I have an Asus P5Q Pro motherboard, and Windows Vista and all my data is stored on my 500gb Hitachi standard HDD.

What I want to do is install the SSD as an AHCI drive, then install Windows 7 on it and some programs. I am sort of a computer newbie though, so it is kind of tough for me. Can someone help me out with step by step instructions or provide me a link how I would install the drive, install Windows 7, "get rid of" Windows Vista, and transfer my programs (can I just copy and paste the folders?).

Thank you!

Solution
You can copy and paste the data folders, but not the programs. They usually need registry entries which can not be transferred.

If you want to preserve your settings windows easy transfer can set up the necessary transfer file.
I like to do a clean install and redo the settings to avoid carrying over any garbage that I might have forgotten about.

1) Install the SSD in your PC
2) Unplug the sata cable from your current hard drive. This insures that nothing inadvertent can alter it.
3) Boot from the w7 dvd, insuring that you have first set sata mode in the bios to ahci.
4) Install w7. It is straight forward. Apply updates, and install anti virus. Microsoft security essentials is free, effective, and completely...
You can copy and paste the data folders, but not the programs. They usually need registry entries which can not be transferred.

If you want to preserve your settings windows easy transfer can set up the necessary transfer file.
I like to do a clean install and redo the settings to avoid carrying over any garbage that I might have forgotten about.

1) Install the SSD in your PC
2) Unplug the sata cable from your current hard drive. This insures that nothing inadvertent can alter it.
3) Boot from the w7 dvd, insuring that you have first set sata mode in the bios to ahci.
4) Install w7. It is straight forward. Apply updates, and install anti virus. Microsoft security essentials is free, effective, and completely unobtrusive.
5) Plug your old hard drive sata cable back in, and boot w7. Make certain that w7 is first in the boot order.
6) Reinstall your software programs. Copy and paste any data folders you want to move and delete anything you don't want to keep.

Solution

mikey5802

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

You'll need to change your BIOS BOOT order to boot from the CD/DVD and perform a custom installation to your SSD drive, and if it's not already setup, make sure your IDE config setting is set for AHCI. I also suggest you remove the 500 GB Hitachi (just disconnect it) before you run the Win 7 install or it will try to update the boot section of the Hitachi drive (you don't want it to in this circumstance). One windows 7 is installed, set the boot order to boot from the SSD and re-connect the Hitachi drive, boot into Win 7 then format it and assign a drive letter. (Right click on My Computer, select Manage, then Storage, then Disk Management to format the 500 GB drive.) You'll also need to reinstall your programs/applications b/c they may have made Registry entries and/or installed other support programs in a windows sub-directory, and they won't transfer over if just copy the folders.

You're gonna love having an SSD as a boot/primary applications drive!!!! :bounce:

I have a Patriot 128 GB SSD myself.