Sign in with
Your question

Defragmentation issue

Last response: in Windows XP
July 6, 2011 7:23:30 PM

Running XP pro on my laptop and can never seem to get completely through the defragmentation process the windows defrag utility seems to invariably hang up. Anyone know much about why this is?

More about : defragmentation issue

July 6, 2011 7:48:20 PM

Could be may things, usually a running process that prevents data from being moved.

Boot into safemode and try again.
July 6, 2011 11:59:39 PM

I've never liked the in-built defragger, way way too slow. Diskeeper are offering free trials from their website. It's much faster and better than the in-built.
Related resources
July 7, 2011 2:29:38 AM

travis60 said:
Running XP pro on my laptop and can never seem to get completely through the defragmentation process the windows defrag utility seems to invariably hang up. Anyone know much about why this is?

From what I recall, the XP defragmenter did not run very well while the PC was in use (some even say that it would re-start when the screensaver would start operating, etc. and so would never complete).

I recall a recommendation that worked OK wherein you would disable the screen saver and then press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to get into task manager and shut down everything but the explorer and sys tray (or something like that) and then it would run OK (although you'd have to leave it on all night).

On the other hand, you could get a good third party defrag program like Harvey suggests and defrag your disks automatically.

Here is a Top 10 Reviews side-by-side comparison of the best defragmenters around:

http://disk-defragmenter-software-review.toptenreviews....

The top placers are all automatic and very fast (the gold medalist will even defrag while using the PC with no performance hit and it also prevents fragmentation).

Check it out and get a free trial to see how you like it (I think most of these are still compatible with XP).

Bill R TechSpec
a b D Laptop
July 7, 2011 12:17:41 PM

How much free space is on the drive? The defragger needs free space in order to temporarily shuffle files around. If your drive is over 80% full you may run into issues.
July 14, 2011 6:14:57 AM

try to chkdsk your HDD, then scandisk..
!