I need help....Please read

tai101587

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
my current setup:

mobo: asus p5e3 premium wifi @n
ram: 2x1 ocz ddr3-1600
hd: seagate 1tb (cheapo--with the rebate)
cpu: q9450
video: radeon 3850

ok so

everything worked fine until I upgraded the ram to 2x2 ddr3 2000 dominators....It worked for awhile...I pushed it to 1600 then 1800 then 2000 (and I played with the voltage a lot--settings from 1.74-1.96)...it worked at 1800, not at 2000 or 1900. Then I went back to 1800, where it froze after some hours, and then back to 1600.

memtest ran for 5 or 6 hours, 9 tests passed all.

I make music with a program called cubase (in addition to other things), so it's my main test. It worked fine for a day, so I used acronis true image to image a new blank drive se.2 (1tb) --the light server drive that's supposedly optimized for 24/7 use.

Now, the new hd, with the new ram (at 1600) worked fine for a day--but sort of. There were weird problems from the start--the task bar responded very slowly, for example--that is, I would start a program, and it would take 2-4 minutes until the taskbar appropriately reacted. Another example is the little bubbles that pop up in xp from the tray icons wouldn't go away for a few minutes after clicking the x.

At any rate, cubase worked for another day or so. Eventually, it just stopped working (I cannot recall whether it was immediate or gradual--I think gradual)--weird feedback would happen when I click play, and it stutters every .5 sec or so.

At this point I decided that i should run chkdsk; there were some errors, so I ran seagate diagnostics--it failed both the short and the long tests, so I figured it was a bad hd.

Thus, I went back to my old hd. But the same problems with cubase and the taskbar happened (seagate diagnostics pass on this hd). I ran prime 95 for 6 or so hours, no problems, and then ran chkdsk. It had some index entry issues (what does this mean?) so I did chkdsk /r and let it run. This morning I woke up with the same problems, so I just put in the old ram.

At this point everything is exactly as it was before I put in any new components (I didn't mention that I tried a lot of different bios configs, which had no effect on the problems; anyway, I had saved the old settings, so I'm back to them). But the problem still happens............any ideas?

by the way, I've just run chkdsk again, and it looks like there are more problems with index entries (which I have no idea about--it doesn't look like there are bad sectors though--I'm running hd tune error scan right now to check though).

other info:
-I lost a 1 tb hd (same as the one i'm using now (the cheapo kind)) about a month ago--it started bsoding all the time and eventually xp wouldn't boot--just to safe mode. I can now run it about 20-30 min at a time in slave mode to extract data from it.
-about 6 months ago I stupidly ran it overnight without a fan. The cpu got up to around 90 apparently. But with a fan it idles around 40-45 and gets to 60 with prime 95--but it seems to work fine through prime 95 (and intellburn awhile ago), so I'm not too worried.

I don't know what to do.....any ideas?

aikigi

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
not easy...!!!
Did you unplug the power supply went you change the ram ?
A lot of people forgot this and can some time be a problem after...
I did have some probleme with ram before and test everything a few time with mentest... never found any error... I bought new memory and same problem...
I build a new computer with all new components except ram!!! and the probleme was the same!!! the probleme was the ram and both old and new was bad... mentest is a good program but some time it doesn't detect everything.
I think there is different test you can do, I realyse after that my memory did passe only the "standar" test but not another one that I don't remember the name (sorry)

If you can olso (even if it's rare) test you power supply for stability.

tai101587

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
so I ran chkdsk /r from the recovery console....every time it gets to 75% or so, it goes back to 50%....................