dillion

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
I am currently putting together a HTPC , I would like to fit a motherboard with onboard graphics, i am not a gamer but HD content and HD decoding are important to me. Can anyone recommend any boards on the market. I am finding the range very limited. Thanks Guys

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Just pick a motherboard that fits the below criteria: (I'm assuming you're going to run Windows and not Linux)

AMD
-mATX or ATX (depending on your case)
-AMD 780G or AMD 790GX (nVidia 8x00 chipset does not support full hardware VC1 acceleration)
-AM2+ socket (to go with cheaper DDR2)
-HDMI

Intel
-G45 (doesn't do 1080p/24 apparently) or GeForce 9300/9400
-LGA775
-The rest is same from the AMD list

If the purpose of the build is solely for HTPC only then AMD is the more ideal & cost effective platform. Only a cheap low-powered dualcore will be needed.
As long as the board meets the criteria then just go for the cheapest one.

Hint: Punch those criteria into NewEgg and you'll get a list

dillion

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Thanks for the pointers and info, thats made it a lot more clearer

The sole purpose would be for a HTCP. When you say AMD is the more ideal tho, is this purely cost based or would the AMD have any other advantages over the Intel such as graphics performance say? The reason i ask is because i already have Intel processor from an old machine. Also would these boards have any drawback to running linux as i was planning on using mythtv.

Currently looking at the DFI-LanParty-JRGF9400.

cheers

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
When you say AMD is the more ideal tho, is this purely cost based or would the AMD have any other advantages over the Intel such as graphics performance say? The reason i ask is because i already have Intel processor from an old machine.
As long as your existing processor is based on Core2 architecture and has EIST/SpeedStep for power saving that's fine. If based on Pentium4-Netburst, too inefficient and valueless, you would be better off with a new processor.

e.g. I was in a similar situation with a spare E6300 Core2Duo. I happened to came across a XFX Geforce9300 mATX my friend was selling for cheap. The HTPC also runs some server tasks as well so it worked out for me.

The main reason to go with AMD (if not re-using your processor) is cost saving. For the same performance and features, plus a greater variety of motherboards to choose from that fits the HTPC criteria, CPU+Motherboard the AMD platform cost quite a bit less. There are also a few very cheap designated energy efficient AMD processors to choose from resulting in lower idle power consumption.

rojito

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007

consider a cheap mobo and cheap ati 4000 series card. Something like this:

Foxconn G31MXP-K LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813186167
43$+S&H.

GIGABYTE GV-R435OC-512I Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814125251
35$ - 15 rebate= 20$ and free shipping can't get better than this. I bought this one and got the rebate after around a month. It's a much better solution than onboard graphics, more support, and up to 8 channels of LPCM audio.