Sign in with
Your question

Defragmenting

Last response: in Windows XP
July 6, 2011 8:11:08 PM

My XP defragmenter utility seems to end abruptly like it doesn't finish completely. Is there an optimum way to set it? My system has slowed down considerably after getting a new 1gb drive

More about : defragmenting

July 6, 2011 8:26:40 PM

1 gb drive? really? or did you mean 1Tb?

system slowing down would typically be an issue with free disk space on OS drive.

if you're talking about access speed to your new drive, what RPM is it going at and how is it connected? (internal or external usb?)
July 7, 2011 3:16:34 AM

ron57 said:
My XP defragmenter utility seems to end abruptly like it doesn't finish completely. Is there an optimum way to set it? My system has slowed down considerably after getting a new 1gb drive

AntiZig makes a good point.

I'm assuming it is a 1 TB drive and since it is new I am assuming it is not close to capacity yet.

That being the case, I have heard a lot of complaints about the built-in defragmenter taking a very long time with large drives (some report it did not complete despite running all night).

Keep in mind that 1 TB drives were not around for much of XP's life -- chances are the built-in was not designed to address that size, so there is no particular setting you can use.

You should consider a third party defrag program that can efficiently handle large volumes. While there are many good free ones, for a 1 TB or larger size, you might consider a commercial defragmenter designed for large disks like Diskeeper 2011 Pro Premier (it has a totally different defrag engine designed for large drives so it is very fast with large drives)

Although it is not free, you can get a free trial and see if that's what you're looking for and if the cost is worth it to you.
!