Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II 965 BE -- Good, easy-install HSF?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 3, 2010 8:27:32 AM

Hello again,

I'm using the stock HSF that came with my 965 BE and the fan seems to be generating some kind of high-pitch whistle (you don't so much "hear" it as "feel" it) that gets worse as it spins faster. I don't know if that's business as usual, but from some mild probing and testing it definitely seems like the fan... when it spins slower, the noise is quieter (and lower-pitched). When the fan goes into overdrive (Prime95), the noise disappears around 4000 RPM. I'm assuming that's simply because the frequency of the sound is now too high for me to hear!

For the record, the HSF under regular load (gaming) is ~3500 RPM average and ~50C.

Because of this crazy noise, I've decided I'm an idiot for not buying an aftermarket HSF at build. So, I'm looking for some recommendations!

Now, I really don't want to totally disassemble my system to install a custom clamp to the motherboard. Really, I just want something that can use the same bracket that's already ithere. A simple extract/clean/re-grease/install would be perfect.

I don't intend to do any crazy overclocking, so noise level is somewhat more important to me than how cold it can keep the CPU. Really I just want the freakin' high pitched whistle to GTFO! :p 

The one I have my eye on is the highest-rated one on Newegg that's AM3-compatible:

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm Ceramic CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It fits the bill of quiet, simple to install, and better than the stock. Seems to cap at around 2700 RPM, which Anyone know if it's any good?

Or, if you have any suggestions, please fill me in!
a b à CPUs
August 3, 2010 2:22:49 PM

cooler master hyper 212+
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 288 K Overclocking
August 3, 2010 2:28:05 PM

Hi.

What is ur budget for the CPU cooler?
m
l
Related resources
August 3, 2010 6:22:57 PM

$50-ish max. ie, not liquid.

I know the CM Hyper 212+ is the second coming, but it requires a custom bracket and quite honestly I don't want to deal with that.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 288 K Overclocking
August 3, 2010 6:34:33 PM

The Hyper 212+ is the best option for price/performance.

And about the installation u can check my signature and and read the guide about the installation of that cooler.
m
l
August 3, 2010 6:39:15 PM

Thanks.

Is there anyone out there with a recommendation OTHER than the 212+? I REALLY do not want to have to totally disassemble my system and modify my motherboard to attempt what is already a risky operation.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 288 K Overclocking
August 3, 2010 6:52:50 PM

The cooler that u post or this ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 seems very easy to install.

But don't worry about the Hyper 212+ installation just takes 1 hour max and isn't dangerous for the rig if u do it in the correct way.
m
l
August 3, 2010 7:47:51 PM

Brain surgery isn't dangerous if you do it the correct way either! :p 

Frostytech is saying the Hyper 212+ hits 45-50dbA in terms of noise from low to high load. That seems kind of loud, but I can't find any definitive measurement as to what the stock's dbA is...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 3, 2010 7:53:26 PM

deepruntramp said:
Thanks.

Is there anyone out there with a recommendation OTHER than the 212+? I REALLY do not want to have to totally disassemble my system and modify my motherboard to attempt what is already a risky operation.

Guess my reply either didn't make it...

clip on horizontal air flow, no pwm fan but comes with pci slot controller. memory with tall heat spreaders may interfere with slot #1. Comes with TX-2.

Don't figure in the MIR, you may not ever see it accord to egg reviews....

m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 288 K Overclocking
August 3, 2010 7:57:50 PM

Check this
m
l
August 3, 2010 8:03:58 PM

Sunbeam's core cantact freezer, but you won't get your rebate

also, I think it is a bit loud

what case do you have?

scythe has a few low noise and lower profile fans that are also fairly effective at basic heat dissapation as well
m
l
August 3, 2010 8:20:15 PM

I ended up with the fan from the sunbeam, and I that it is on the loud side, much more than 20Db posted on newegg.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 3, 2010 8:22:22 PM

deepruntramp said:
Thanks for your reply! Have you tried this one before? The PCI knob seems a little clumsy to me, but what do you think?

I'm using one now, I have my fan connected to the motherboard running on high, roughly 1860rpm. I have the controller connected to a UK3 case fan to control it.

I've had thee UK3 mounted on the CCF also, but only about 1-2c difference. I'm pretty sure the CCF performed very well on low as well...

I was going to buy the 212+ originally , but with my old narrow case I went for the slightly shorter height. 212 is a great cooler with two fan capability, but if you don't wish to remove the board......

saint19 does have a sweet guide for you...

m
l
August 3, 2010 8:34:16 PM

Is the TIM included with these packages worth a crap, or should I buy something different?

Now that I mention it, what's the name of that TIM that's non-conductive and doesn't have a curing time?

Also, I can't find anywhere that has the 212+ in stock outside of Newegg (which is gouging it horribly *and* charging shipping)...
m
l
August 3, 2010 8:43:37 PM

The TX-2 the comes with the sunbeam works well. It isn't electrically conductive, but takes about 50 hours to cure I believe, but that really shouldn't be a big deal, because it performs well out of box too, It just means once it is cured it will hopefully see slightly better temps.
m
l
August 3, 2010 8:44:29 PM

as to others, you won't spend an arm and a leg buying thermal paste if you have to.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 3, 2010 8:47:40 PM

jrhii said:
The TX-2 the comes with the sunbeam works well. It isn't electrically conductive, but takes about 50 hours to cure I believe, but that really shouldn't be a big deal, because it performs well out of box too, It just means once it is cured it will hopefully see slightly better temps.

^ I agree, I used it as well and it works good.

TX-2 is older and there is better out there now...
m
l
a c 129 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 4, 2010 5:12:11 PM

I put a Scythe Ninja-mini on my 720BE. The fan is only 80mm, and is not PWM, but it is whisper-quiet.
m
l
August 5, 2010 10:11:18 PM

Bit the bullet and got the Hyper 212+. It came in today but now I've got a couple more issues before I install:

-No one on the entire internet seems to have any clue exactly what kind of TIM is included in the package.

-I can't find definitive numbers on how much better a push/pull setup would be than the default push, in terms of temperatures, noise, or anything else really (aside from some fan recommendations, which, sadly, are green LED in a case full of blue LED).

-For the life of me I can't find and isopropyl alcohol in local stores that's above 70% purity.

Despite wanting to go ahead and get this over today, all of this probably means another order from Microcenter/Newegg. (MX-2 if the included grease remains an enigma, some ArctiCleaner, and maybe another fan (or two to replace both).

Oh, and maybe a 12v extension cable since the only way to get the damn thing to where's its supposed to be in the case is to drag it directly over the GPU and mobo!
m
l
August 6, 2010 12:24:20 AM

70% is fine, IMO, you shouldn't have any problems getting rid of the old TIM. The big benefit of using an alcohol is that is evaporate quickly and won't leave a conductive or corrosive liquid on the heat spreader, and 70% will cover that.

Unless you are serious OCing, one fan is plenty, and 2 fans will probably lower temps a few degrees at best, but it will be louder too.

if you have a microcenter nearby, you can get TIM imediatly an still cheaply.

Finally, you can probably slip the cable under the small hole of the video card where it raises up a bit before the expansion slots in the back of the case. It will also keep the cable out of the way of airflow.
m
l
August 6, 2010 1:01:30 AM

No Microcenter near me unfortunately. =(
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 288 K Overclocking
August 6, 2010 2:31:21 PM

Go better with the MX-3 or TX-3 or even the thermal paste the comes with the Hyper 212+ isn't bad.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2010 11:21:47 PM

XD IC7 is pretty sweet :D  I'm using it now, from the give-away, so happy with its cooling.
m
l
August 11, 2010 5:44:13 PM

The thermal paste that came with the 212+ is working great for me, and I read somewhere that it is rumored to be better than Arctic Silver. Don't know, that's just what I heard.
m
l
!