Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Safe overclocking amd athlon II x4 620 ?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 3, 2010 8:34:22 AM

Hello, I am new to overclocking and I am curious and want to know if my current setup is safe and will last.

My system specs:
AMD Athlon II X4 620
3.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 337MHz
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N68-AM SE2 (AM2)
512MB ATI Radeon HD 4550 (VISIONTEK)

My CPU is constantly hovering around 35 degrees c and barely breaks 40 degrees c

CPU-Z Images

a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
August 3, 2010 9:41:39 AM

All looks OK what temps do you get when you run Prime 95 and have you run it for long enough to check the stability?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 3, 2010 10:19:09 AM

Based on this, I think that is your idle temp (perhaps). Also, i think your clocks are a bit messed up? 340mhz is really low for ram especially DDR2, i would expect at least 800mhz even if it was running at Tri-Channel, since AMD boards don't run tri-channel. Anywho, as simon12 said run prime95 for at least 15 minutes, use a temperature monitoring software and look at the lowest temp (idle) and highest (load) temp. A good software is CoreTemp, http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ , Prime95 for the load, http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

After running it for 15 minutes tell us your max temps and idle temps. Also your heatsink would help.

Your max temp or load temp shouldn't pass 71* C otherwise it's to hot. You should either reduce the multiplier to keep it lower, undervolt, or get a better CPU heatsink.

Max temp source: http://products.amd.com/en-na/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=...
m
l
Related resources
August 3, 2010 11:02:51 AM

aznshinobi said:
Based on this, I think that is your idle temp (perhaps). Also, i think your clocks are a bit messed up? 340mhz is really low for ram especially DDR2, i would expect at least 800mhz even if it was running at Tri-Channel, since AMD boards don't run tri-channel. Anywho, as simon12 said run prime95 for at least 15 minutes, use a temperature monitoring software and look at the lowest temp (idle) and highest (load) temp. A good software is CoreTemp, http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ , Prime95 for the load, http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

After running it for 15 minutes tell us your max temps and idle temps. Also your heatsink would help.

Your max temp or load temp shouldn't pass 71* C otherwise it's to hot. You should either reduce the multiplier to keep it lower, undervolt, or get a better CPU heatsink.

Max temp source: http://products.amd.com/en-na/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=...

After 15 minutes max temp is 68 degrees and the lowest was 46 degrees

I'm planning on cutting back to around 3.1 ish since I'm slightly uncomfortable with it running with a max of 68 degrees. The heat sink is stock but I have 5 fans inside the case.

As for the ram last time I checked it usually ran at 500mhz or something along those lines and I also know which is a mistake on my part are 2 different types one is 4300 and the other is 5300. This ram isn't the best but I plan on upgrading to 4gb ddr2 of the same type once school starts up in a month.
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
August 3, 2010 11:21:14 AM

Oh Well, doesn't really matter since your running XP absolutely do not upgrade to 4gb otherwise you'll have to do a fresh 64-bit XP install, which i don't think exists unless you have W7 64-bit. You should actually consider going to Win7 instead of upgrading ram.

Anywho, 68 is really good for a pretty good OC, not to mention thats the stock heatsink. So, 3.1 to 3.3 really isn't a huge difference so yea it'll lower your temps. Just to make sure its fully stable though run Prime95 longer to ensure stability, i'd say about 1-2hrs is good, personal opinion though. Anyways, did that answer your question if so pick the best answer or do you need more info?
August 3, 2010 11:35:49 AM

aznshinobi said:
Oh Well, doesn't really matter since your running XP absolutely do not upgrade to 4gb otherwise you'll have to do a fresh 64-bit XP install, which i don't think exists unless you have W7 64-bit. You should actually consider going to Win7 instead of upgrading ram.

Anywho, 68 is really good for a pretty good OC, not to mention thats the stock heatsink. So, 3.1 to 3.3 really isn't a huge difference so yea it'll lower your temps. Just to make sure its fully stable though run Prime95 longer to ensure stability, i'd say about 1-2hrs is good, personal opinion though. Anyways, did that answer your question if so pick the best answer or do you need more info?

Im currently running windows xp pro 64 bit and own windows 7 ultimate 64 bit I just haven't installed it to my new hard drive yet. I was using xp for gaming on this drive.

Also I just ran prime again with the cpu @ 3.26 Ghz and this time the low was 39 Degrees and the High was 61 degrees.

CPU-Z, Core Temp and Prime 95 Image

Should I just run the tests again once I get windows 7 running or should I run the 2 hour stress test post again or just select best answer?

Either way. Thanks for your help I appreciate it!
m
l
August 3, 2010 11:48:21 AM

Best answer selected by DaUntouchable76.
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
August 3, 2010 11:49:15 AM

The maximum temp for an Athlon 620 is 71C so since you are unlikely to have any real life situations when you have 100% load on all cores for 15 mins you should be OK. As for the RAM I don't think the 337.3MHz takes into account the multiplier so its actually running at double this figure. As aznshinobi sort of said you need a 64 bit OS to recognise more than 3Gb of RAM so you may already have 4Gb or more anyway, if you have 2 different sticks of RAM 1 must be at least 2Gb and you may find it runs better with only that stick.
m
l
August 3, 2010 1:58:06 PM

simon12 said:
The maximum temp for an Athlon 620 is 71C so since you are unlikely to have any real life situations when you have 100% load on all cores for 15 mins you should be OK. As for the RAM I don't think the 337.3MHz takes into account the multiplier so its actually running at double this figure. As aznshinobi sort of said you need a 64 bit OS to recognise more than 3Gb of RAM so you may already have 4Gb or more anyway, if you have 2 different sticks of RAM 1 must be at least 2Gb and you may find it runs better with only that stick.

Thanks Simon. I'm now running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit with the 3.0 GB of ram. Big difference from xp and 7 in terms of speed and everything. The cpu is running at 3.26 ghz still and I just ran core temp and its steadily hovering at 40 degrees even with 6 simultaneous downloads in steam and while installing the adobe suite. Eventually I will still invest in a better heatsink and actually get some proven thermal grease as well as upgrading my ram since I'm going to need it in the adobe suite.

Thanks again you guys! I know who to look for next time I have any issues. :wahoo: 
m
l
!