Phenom II X4 955 OC'd to 6.7 GHz

r_manic

Administrator
Aimed at gamers and computing enthusiasts, the 3.2GHz Phenom II X4 955 BE will compete with the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550. AMD boasts that their X4 955 BE is capable of running up to 7GHz under extreme cooling conditions...

...AMD spokesperson Matt Davis noted that huge amount of Liquid Helium would be required for extreme cooling while the system is overclocked up to more than twice the frequency offered. However, one can overclock the 3.2GHz Phenom II X4 955 BE to 3.8GHz safely at home with help of conventional fan-cooling method.

Some hobbyists of LimitTeam_Sigh managed to overclock the 3.2GHz AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU to 6.7GHz using Liquid Nitrogen cooling and the details are listed at the Ripping.org, the overclocking world database.[emphasis mine] - techtree

I'm more interested in the 3.8-GHz-at-home part: so this means all that's needed is the stock fan? Or do third-parties come into play?

By Conventional Fan cooling I would guess that means a third party fan. I think the stock fan may be able to handle it but not as well and by that I mean decent temps.

As for the 6.7GHz OC, meh. Its all fine and dandy but still useless to us. Just as useless as the Pentium 4 that was OCed to 8GHz.... not sure how but it was.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Its no wonder the P2 940 is outselling the i7 920.

Going AM3 with DDR3 right now yields absolutely no performance gain over DDR2 platforms.

You know something we dont? You have sales reports, numbers? Proof?

As for the DDR3, true. DDR3 is completely and totally worthless for these chips, they are doing absolutely nothing at all. Its a waste of money to get a DDR3 board for these chips.