sound level differences

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 1, 2004 3:27:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv,alt.satellite.tv.europe (More info?)

Since about one month I'm using my satellite receiver and I'm very satisfied
with it.
I do have one question though: during zapping I sometimes notice irritating
big sound level differences. Haven't the technicians invented any standard
yet for the transmitting sound level?

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

mccm dot vos at hccnet dot nl
URL http://home.hccnet.nl/mccm.vos/

ICQ 326628
August 1, 2004 3:27:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv,alt.satellite.tv.europe (More info?)

In message <2n2h6gFso87fU2@uni-berlin.de>, Linea Recta
<mccm.vos@abc.net> writes

>I do have one question though: during zapping I sometimes notice irritating
>big sound level differences. Haven't the technicians invented any standard
>yet for the transmitting sound level?

Some satellite receivers have separate sound options for setting up
individual channels.
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 10:03:41 AM

Linea Recta wrote:

>I do have one question though: during zapping I sometimes notice irritating
>big sound level differences. Haven't the technicians invented any standard
>yet for the transmitting sound level?

No.

My Sony TV has a feature that auto-adjusts the volume when changing
channels and also removes the different volume levels between ads and
programmes. Well worth having.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/yvnsy
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.co.uk/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Related resources
August 1, 2004 6:45:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv,alt.satellite.tv.europe (More info?)

In message <2n4959Fsc6dmU2@uni-berlin.de>, Linea Recta
<mccm.vos@abc.net> writes
>"JF" <jf@nospam.demon.co.uk>

>> Some satellite receivers have separate sound options for setting up
>> individual channels.

>I'm afraid mine doesn't.
>I think it's a very stupid problem which wouldn't have to exist if
>technicians used standards.

They do use standards to a large measure otherwise you'd need twenty
different satellite receivers to receiver twenty different services.
Cable head operators have to perform all manner of minor tweaks to the
outputs to their customers. I don't suppose setting up audio gain on
individual channels gives them problems (unless they happen to be NTL,
of course).

Not that I would ever dream of saying a word against NTL, you
understand. Perish the thought. A fine, upstanding company with
centuries of traditions to uphold.

--
James Follett. Novelist. (G1LXP) http://www.jamesfollett.dswilliams.co.uk
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv,alt.satellite.tv.europe (More info?)

"Jomtien" <jomtien@the.beach> schreef in bericht
> Linea Recta wrote:
>
> >I do have one question though: during zapping I sometimes notice
irritating
> >big sound level differences. Haven't the technicians invented any
standard
> >yet for the transmitting sound level?
>
> No.

IMHO there seem to be far too few standards in technology. This would make
life much easier...
Imagine what would happen if the same applied for brightness and contrast!

> My Sony TV has a feature that auto-adjusts the volume when changing
> channels and also removes the different volume levels between ads and
> programmes. Well worth having.

You're lucky then.

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

mccm dot vos at hccnet dot nl
URL http://home.hccnet.nl/mccm.vos/

ICQ 326628
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 7:22:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv,alt.satellite.tv.europe (More info?)

"JF" <jf@nospam.demon.co.uk> schreef in bericht
> In message <2n2h6gFso87fU2@uni-berlin.de>, Linea Recta
> <mccm.vos@abc.net> writes
>
> >I do have one question though: during zapping I sometimes notice
irritating
> >big sound level differences. Haven't the technicians invented any
standard
> >yet for the transmitting sound level?
>
> Some satellite receivers have separate sound options for setting up
> individual channels.

I'm afraid mine doesn't.
I think it's a very stupid problem which wouldn't have to exist if
technicians used standards.

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

mccm dot vos at hccnet dot nl
URL http://home.hccnet.nl/mccm.vos/

ICQ 326628
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 7:22:54 PM

They do sell stand alone component audio volume levellers (reference
volume vs. actual [ambient volume]).I am seriously considering
purchasing one;but they cost about $200....a lot of money for a minor
annoyance.Fox Sports Net is the worst offender in my opinion.Their
mainline sports programming (baseball) and their ad volume is so loud,I
end up doing sprints to get to the remote in time.
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 1:30:37 AM

SAC 441 wrote:
> They do sell stand alone component audio volume levellers (reference
> volume vs. actual [ambient volume]).I am seriously considering
> purchasing one;but they cost about $200....a lot of money for a minor
> annoyance.Fox Sports Net is the worst offender in my opinion.Their
> mainline sports programming (baseball) and their ad volume is so loud,I
> end up doing sprints to get to the remote in time.

Do you have a link to where I could read about one? I've looked in Google but
got overwhelmed by all the ones that are built into TVs already.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

mschnerd@carolina.rr.com.barf
http://www.mortimerschnerd.com
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 1:30:38 AM

Mortimer Schnerd,RN said:
----"Do you have a link to where I could read about one? I've looked in
Google but got overwhelmed by all the ones that are built into TVs
already."----

Reply:
Here is one link I found on MSN search:

www.focus.ti.com/docs/prod/productfolder.jhtml?genericP...
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 11:04:32 PM

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerd@carolina.rr.com.nospam> schreef in bericht
> SAC 441 wrote:
> > They do sell stand alone component audio volume levellers (reference
> > volume vs. actual [ambient volume]).I am seriously considering
> > purchasing one;but they cost about $200....a lot of money for a minor
> > annoyance.Fox Sports Net is the worst offender in my opinion.Their
> > mainline sports programming (baseball) and their ad volume is so loud,I
> > end up doing sprints to get to the remote in time.
>

> Do you have a link to where I could read about one? I've looked in Google
but
> got overwhelmed by all the ones that are built into TVs already.

It's a cure for a needless illness, on the other hand I suppose it opens a
market...

--
$$$,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

mccm dot vos at hccnet dot nl
URL http://home.hccnet.nl/mccm.vos/

ICQ 326628
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 3:25:28 AM

I was told by a Dir of Eng that cable systems work with baseband; that
they dont demod down to audio & video and therefore have no control
over it.

!