Noctua NH-U12P SE2 review

zeruin

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Hey everyone, I just wanna give some well deserved props to the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU cooler. It seems like there's not much talk about the excellent performance this kit provides.. and since I own one, I figure I share my experience with it.

Well, right out of the box, this is truly the complete CPU cooler and heatsink package. It apparently contains all the necessary mounting hardware to mount it to even the newest amd and intel motherboards. It comes with some high rated NT-H1 Thermal Compound. 2 NF-P12 fans that are extremely silent, even on 100%. And don't forget the huge heatsink..

Anywho, I'm running an i7-920 at 4.0 with Turbo on, HT off. My idle temps sit right around 40-45c and max loaded right around 68-72c with a couple hours of prime95. Now I'm purely a gamer, and don't do much CPU intesive work to begin with, so in real world tests, my core temps usually sit around 60c max even after a whole days worth of killing some noobs on L4D2. Ambient temps are anywhere from 20-25c depending on the time of day.

I suppose the only possible cons I could see with this kit is the color of the NF-P12 fans and the hugeness of the heatsink. For one, the color of the fans aren't an issue for me.. if anything I think they have a unique look. Aside from that, these fans sell for >$20 each, and you get 2 of them. And as far as the size of the heatsink, that's more of a plus in my book, bigger usually is better.

As far as price/performance goes, I really feel that this kit delivers where others may fall short. Being that this is the complete CPU cooling solution in one box, you don't have to worry about buying multiple components to make it all come together. For $65, this is definately a nominal fee when you consider the amount of performance your gaining with overclocking.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=5233169&sku=N126-1016&srkey=u12p

In the end, I'm not here trying to say how the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 is better than anyone elses heatsink/fan.. I just wanted to put it out there that this setup shouldn't be easily overlooked.

whatupharry

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Cool, thanks for the info. I've never been too big into overclocking but was just thinking about it today and started to look at HSF and I've narrowed it down to the megahalems, hyper 212+, Scythe mugen, and DH14. Will have to look deeper into this one.