Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$100 to play with...

Last response: in Storage
August 6, 2010 7:06:43 PM

So I've got about $100 to play with tops including shipping and I've been looking into these ssd's. My current specs are:

i5 760
asus p7p55d pro
2x5770 xfired
4 gb gskill RAM ripjaws 1600
windows 7 (32bit home prem.)
antec 600w psu
seagate barracuda 500gb hd (IDE abot 3 yrs old now, possibly older)

I'm having trouble deciding between getting a hd that's sata, or getting an ssd to load my os and using my old seagate for docs, media files and games (I'm also debating picking up w7 64-bit). What would you guys do? If you'd get an ssd and use the existing ide drive for storage, which ssd would you recommend. Also, how difficult are these things to install, and get up and running?

More about : 100 play

Best solution

a c 99 G Storage
August 6, 2010 9:57:20 PM

OCZ Vertex 30GB $89.99 after rebate.

With $100 budget, it's tight on choices.

30GB might be tight for an OS only, but mine only takes up 22+GB, with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Office 2007, Quicken, and Norton Security Suite. All my libraries are on my data/media drive(s).
August 6, 2010 9:59:18 PM

get OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX30GXXX and don't look back. if you ask why or anything else then you certainly underestimate this beat.

settings pretty easy. nothing much to do.

yes keep second ide for other storage. this is mainly for win installation and programs.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
August 6, 2010 10:23:25 PM

With only $100, and a three year old IDE HDD, I'd spend $55 on a 500GB Seagate 7200.12 or Samsung Spinpoint F3, and save the rest toward an 80GB SSD later or get an external USB enclosure for your old drive. A small SSD will do you no good if the drive where all your data resides reaches the end of its useful life and croaks. The speed of a SSD is great, but I don't think that's your first concern right now. Once you have cloned it onto your new drive, keep the old one around for backup purposes.
m
l
August 6, 2010 11:16:55 PM

Well I went ahead an ordered the ocz: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... not too pricey given the rebate and discount. I actually must've been placing the order before your post jtt as it makes perfect sense. I figure, tho, at this point I might as well get the ssd now as a boot drive and get the the spinpoint f3 in a few weeks when I'm not as financially challenged (took some time off to bond with my baby and now I'm back at work).
m
l
a b G Storage
August 7, 2010 12:16:49 AM

Hmmm. Well, I found even a 64GB SSD was a little small for me, but then I did want to load a few games on it, and Steam insists on using C:; at least I didn't find a place in the settings to change it. If nothing else, it will demonstrate why you want a bigger one :) .
m
l
August 7, 2010 3:41:58 AM

Onus said:
Hmmm. Well, I found even a 64GB SSD was a little small for me, but then I did want to load a few games on it, and Steam insists on using C:; at least I didn't find a place in the settings to change it. If nothing else, it will demonstrate why you want a bigger one :) .

That's definitely not good as recently I've been purchasing my games almost exclusively through Steam. Doh! Well hopefully there's a workaround or something!
m
l
August 8, 2010 5:03:28 PM

Yesterday while checking out some deals on newegg, I found the 60gb version of the OTC Vertex on sale for $119.99 with a $25 rebate for a total of $94.99. I'm not counting on the rebate as I've heard it's a slowwwww process, but $70 off for a 60gb ssd (which basically is double what I just purchased on Friday) at $20 more is pretty good. My total including shipping came out to about $130 (including the bracket). It was a shell shocker deal last night so it's not good anymore but I think it's onsale for $149.99 right now.
m
l
August 8, 2010 5:04:54 PM

Best answer selected by thestrangebrew.
m
l
!