Failed SATA HDD looking to recover

itchytooth

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Hello,

I'm currently trying to help someone out with a recently failed hard drive. The old hard drive had a registry problem and would blue screen on windows xp startup. I'm trying to recover some of the data from the old hard drive. I have a new hard drive installed in the computer now. There is room for another hard drive to be installed so I was wondering if I could install the failed hard drive in the computer to retrieve some of the data with a data recovery software program. Or is there a better way to do this. Currently windows xp pro is installed on both hard drives if that is of concern when they are both going to be connected to the computer.

Thanks for the help.

Solution
You should be able to connect both hard drives but if they are PATA you will need to set the jumpers on the hard drives to Master and Slave respectively and/or if they are SATA, set which one to boot from in the BIOS. If the failed hard drive is still functioning, you should be able to see and hopefully be able to copy over the data.

EnderWiggin

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
You should be able to connect both hard drives but if they are PATA you will need to set the jumpers on the hard drives to Master and Slave respectively and/or if they are SATA, set which one to boot from in the BIOS. If the failed hard drive is still functioning, you should be able to see and hopefully be able to copy over the data.

Solution