Phenom II x4 940 cooler question

zoog85

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
I'm going to get a new system with the Phenom II x4 940 which is only sold as boxed-version where I live (with a stock cooler). Someone proposed to get a Scythe Mugen 2 cooler, but I'm not really sure what the gain will be compared to the stock cooler.

First of all, I'm not really an overclocker, but since it will be easy with the Black Edition CPU I might overclock a bit in the future when the 3GHz quadcore is getting slow. Even then I won't be pushing for the limits. I have to shell out $45 extra for this non-stock cooler which seems a bit much if I don't really need it.

So basicly my question is, will the stock cooler be good enough for me assuming that somewhere in the future the processor *might* be overclocked from 3.0GHz to let's say 3.4Ghz or something along those lines?

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
The stock cooler should be sufficient, even with a mild overclock later. However, you may want to still pick-up some Arctic Silver 5 thermal grease for use with it. It's a small expense (~$6-9) for better heat transfer/cooling efficiency and typically reduces temps 2-5C over the stock stuff.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
2-5C if you apply it perfectly, which beginners often don't. If you're aren't experienced or confident, I'd just use the pre-applied stuff. Zero chance of screwing that up. On the other hand, a nice tube of Arctic Silver will go a long way.

G

I have mine with the stock cooler applied. Running right now at 3.8 GHz with no problems with heat have run Orthos stress test for two nights and the processor does not top over 51 degrees celcius.

Great Processor, Best Value!

loneninja

Distinguished
I have mine with the stock cooler applied. Running right now at 3.8 GHz with no problems with heat have run Orthos stress test for two nights and the processor does not top over 51 degrees celcius.

Great Processor, Best Value!

I'm impressed, I've got mine at 3.5Ghz and it reaches 63C in Prime95.

Hodgie

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Great thread guys. I've just bought a Phenom II 940 myself and using the stock cooler.

I've used the ASRockOc to increase the CPU voltage to 1.3625 and increased the CPU multiplier to 16.5. I've now got 3300MHz. The CPU temp states 51 degrees, motherboard 31 degrees..

As I don't know what to change to increase the speed, can you tell me what I should change? Also at what CPU temperature should I be worried?

I'm thinking of getting the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, after all of your comments. It's only £18 ($30).

Cheers

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I don't care much for the Arctic Cooling Freezer...

I went with an Apack/Zerotherm ZEN-FZ120 on my Phenom II X3 720. I can get it to 3.725Ghz @ 1.425v and still don't see temps above 45C in Prime95 or Orthos, ever.
That's with a heating element (aka an HD4890 card) sitting below it. :)
It's pretty quiet, too, even at full speed.