CPU Temperatures - HELP!

G

Ok, new rig I built yesterday:

Antec 900 Gamer Case
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4 GHz)
ASUS P5N-D nForce 750i Motherboard
PoV GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
Arctic Power 700W PSU
Corsair 4GB DDR2 800MHz

On first start-up, with all case fans running at 100% along with the CPU fan, the CPU temperature is registering as a blistering 88-90 degrees...

Naturally I'm using it as little as possible in case the CPU decides to start melting, but what on earth is going on?!

I've ordered a decent thermal paste brand which I'm going to apply asap, but is there any way in the meantime of cooling my CPU to acceptable levels? I've used a Core 2 Quad (same model in fact) in another rig, (same case, -200W PSU, very similar card and RAM) and have had no problems whatsoever.

What is going on?!

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
^+1 That's the solution. I had the same problem before - the exact same. Q6600, 90C, no OC. The Intel stock HSF is so stupid. Get an aftermarket cooler if you want, but for normal operation, reseating the HSF with new TIM should do it.

G

ah cheers guys - i've taken the thing apart and am reseating the Cooler as I type (well almost) - will let u know if its solves the problem.

G

yeah cheers all ^^ it sorted the problem! still thinking of getting a 3rd party cpu cooler though...

logainofhades

Titan
A TRUE is nice but also Noctua seems to be doing well with keeping i7's cool. They can cost a good deal. XIGMATEK Dark Knight is not a bad cooler either. Depends on how much you can spend I guess. the DK is I believe the least expensive. The Noctua with the hardware for LGA775 is about $20 more and unsure about the TRUE's price right off hand.