w0lfattack

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Hey folks, last night I was playing in my BIOS and changed the clock thing from 133 to 160 and I achieved a little overclock and my computer seems to be running fine? :??: It cant be this easy right? I didnt go very far.. I think its up to like 3.3GHz from 2.8.

I was just wondering how you know when to stop increasing this number... And should I be changing any other numbers with it?

Thanks in advance! :whistle:

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Have you stressed your system using Prime 95? You might need to drop your memory multiplier to ensure you are running your memory at its rated speed.

Download and run Prime 95 for 6-10 hours (Blend Tests tests your CPU and RAM and FFT tests test just your CPU).

Download temperature monitoring software like CPUID H/W monitor. (http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.16-setup.exe)
Make sure your CPU temp stays at or below 65 C depending on the CPU.

Are you using the stock cooler? If not, I recommend buying a good aftermarket cooler like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus, it is cheap and performs well. You should be able to find one for about $30.00

Can you please post your system specs so we can help a bit more?

Hi.

1- Any change above the stock specifications is OC.
2- What are the specifications of ur rig?
3- One thing is OC and other one is stable OC, so, after change something u need test the rig with programs like prime95, LinX or OCCT for stability.

w0lfattack

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Intel Core i7 - 860 Lynnfield Processor @ 2.8GHz
Asus P7P55 WS SuperComputer ATX Motherboard
EVGA 9800 GTX+ Graphics Card
G.SKILL RipJaw 4GB Triple Channel DDR3 1600 RAM
Corsair 850W Power Supply
Cooler Master HAF 932 Steel ATX Full Tower Case

I'm running a Corsair H50 water cooler for my CPU which brings it down to 27-32C @ idle. I overclocked to 3.3ghz just by changing the thing from 133 to 155 and my temperatures haven't changed at all. You will be loved for advice or recommendations.

As stated above download and run Prime 95, if you are going to overclock further run it for 15-20 mins every time you change something and when you are settled run it for 2-12 hours to confirm 100% stability (I say 2-12 because there are differences in opinion how how long it needs to run). If you get an error or crash you may need to reduce the RAM multiplier and/or increase the core voltage (or drop to the last good setting).