PSU: Antec 750W TruePower ATX Power Supply
CPU: AMD PHENOM II X4 955 QUAD-CORE 3.2GHz AM3 CPU
RAM: Corsair TW3X4G1333C9 4GB (2x XMS3 2GB) PC-10600 (1333MHz) XMP DDR3 RAM
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
GPU: Gigabyte HDGV-R487D5-1GD
HDD: Western Digital 500GB (WD5000AAKS) Caviar SE16 SATA2 HDD
DVD: Pioneer DVR-216BK
Cooling: Antec TriCool 120mm Case Fan with 3-Speed Switch

Everything seems to be working great and after a few initial bumps I'm pleased with the machine but there is still one problem that leaves me scratching my head. For some reason after I shut down the computer, for about 5 minutes or so it wont turn back on; you can keep pushing the power button, unplug and replug the power cable, switch the PSU on and off, it just will not turn on for a little while. In the end I always get it going so I'm assuming (hoping) it's not a fault with the PSU or case or something. Does anyone know if it might have a timer or something like that? I'm guessing this is an easy one, its just left me puzzled..

slopez

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
A problem I have seen before a few times and is documented on other tech sites, but sounds like your PSU is getting too warm! Let me explain, there is temperature sensor inside that "some" PSUs read before turning on to see if the temp is too high and refuse to switch on if this is the case. Oddly it will not actually switch the power off once running though. The delay you are seeing is just the time it takes for the unit to cool to what it considers to be more acceptable temperatures.

So whilst the Antec three hundred case should allow ample cooling, it is not the biggest or best cooled gaming case around :) So you may not have a faulty PSU per say, but I would say check your air flow!