Your question
Closed

GTX 460 and Heat

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 4, 2010 7:28:15 AM

I think this was touched upon briefly in one of the reviews for the GTX 460 (mine happens to be a 768 MB, superclocked evga) but maybe someone can confirm or help me figure this out. I was running this card in a silverstone raven 01 case and when I was stress testing it (at stock speeds) it seems as though I was hitting about 68-70C in my configuration. It seems that these types of cards don't much like the layout of these cases.

I think I figured out why though, and I hope someone can confirm this or tell me if it at least sounds like it makes sense. I apologize in advance if my wording sucks (I am tired and it's late). As far as I can figure these cards use a center fan design that is supposed to blow cool air into the card and it get's dissipated out the back, and some of that air gets blown to cool the memory I suppose.

From what I can tell in these Raven cases since the card is mounted vertically rather than the traditional horizontal way, and heat rises, the stock cooler isn't at it's optimum orientation. Since heat rises I would guess that there is uneven heat being transfered to the heatsink of the gpu. That would account for temp's being slightly higher than the 65 C Max most folks are seeing at stock speeds (both GPU speeds and fan speeds).

By uneven heat I mean that half of the stock heatsink is now below the heat source (the GPU) and since heat rises the normal heat dissipation is now thrown off balance, leading to less effective cooling of the chip. Also I feel it important to mention at this time that my case temps are about 25C, so a little warmer than the 20 C mentioned in the review I am thinking of, so my temps should be a little warmer anyhow.

So, does this logic make sense? I think with this type of case it's best to use centrifugal type coolers on the video card. The fan is at the lowest (or longest) point of the card and blows air evenly over a heatsink rather than right on top of it (passive cooling blows air across the heatsink vs active which pushes air down onto the heatsink.). Am I completely off base on this, or does this logic make sense?

And as a point of reference I installed the GTX 460 into a traditional case (horizontal mounting) and ran the same torture test and it never broke 64 C. I used Furmark and torture tested at 1080P with 32 AA for 10 minutes. Also I feel it important to note the traditional case, an Antec 300, had a fan bringing air in via the side of the case, so it could have also helped with the cooling.

More about : gtx 460 heat

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 4, 2010 8:02:30 PM

Hi there,
to my knowledge GPU are more temperature resistant than CPU

most GPU will be around 50 degrees no stress, 60-80 with stress depending of brand and generation and games played.

Here's specs found on nvidia

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-460-us...

Thermal and Power Specs:
Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 104 C
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 160 W
Minimum Recommended System Power (W) 450 W
Supplementary Power Connectors 6-pin & 6-pin

So 65 degree is a no problem zone
I would not worry about it. So long it doesn't go over 90/95 degrees

Do you have shutdowns/BSOD?

If not everything is fine and game on!!! :hello: 

I hope this helps
Score
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 4, 2010 10:58:51 PM

dextermat said:
Hi there,
to my knowledge GPU are more temperature resistant than CPU

most GPU will be around 50 degrees no stress, 60-80 with stress depending of brand and generation and games played.

Here's specs found on nvidia

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-460-us...

Thermal and Power Specs:
Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 104 C
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 160 W
Minimum Recommended System Power (W) 450 W
Supplementary Power Connectors 6-pin & 6-pin

So 65 degree is a no problem zone
I would not worry about it. So long it doesn't go over 90/95 degrees

Do you have shutdowns/BSOD?

If not everything is fine and game on!!! :hello: 

I hope this helps

Actually that doesn't help me at all, but thanks for putting forth the effort. I knew about the 104C thresh hold. I've never had any BSOD's in any of my builds. I will probably keep the GTX in my 1055T build because it has CUDA cores and that will help with video processing/encoding. Generally I like to keep AMD/ATI together but in my situation I have a i5 750 and it would perform best with my 5850 Black Edition. The 1055T build is primarily for video editing and dvd ripping, so this will work out for the best anyhow.
Score
Related resources
August 4, 2010 11:23:35 PM

Heat does not always rise. Imagine a container of boiling water on top of a block of ice. Substitute a hot CPU/GPU on top of a relatively cool heatsink. Air of any temperature will rise or fall depending upon the relative temp of the surrounding air. I'm having trouble visualizing the geometry of the inside of your box from your description so I can only hope this helps.
Score
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 4, 2010 11:33:19 PM

ram1009 said:
Heat does not always rise. Imagine a container of boiling water on top of a block of ice. Substitute a hot CPU/GPU on top of a relatively cool heatsink. Air of any temperature will rise or fall depending upon the relative temp of the surrounding air. I'm having trouble visualizing the geometry of the inside of your box from your description so I can only hope this helps.

Maybe a google search can help you see what I am talking about. And the Raven uses what is called the "stack cooling effect" where air is always being pushed upwards. It's interesting stuff. Thanks for trying, but I don't see that as being helpful if you have no frame of reference. But I appreciate the effort.
Score

Best solution

August 6, 2010 1:24:27 PM

I have the Silverstone Fortress with the same vertical card layout and in the case's instruction guide they tell you to try to only use vid cards that push air out through the I/O interface; any other air cooling solution could reduce the effectiveness of both the case cooling and the vid card cooling system.

that said I'm running an eVGA 470 and I've only hit around 70* playing DOW2, SC2 and Crysis as long as I keep the fan up (I hit 80 something once but I forgot to bump the fan to 70%...it was running at 40 or 50%).

Iwould say worse case depending on what speed you have the intake fans blowing at you might be creating "bubbles" where the vid card fans are not getting good airflow regardless of the card's fan speed.

Also my ambients suck right now cause my box is upstairs and we are in the middle of one of the hottest summers on record. I have a window unit I use when it's over 27* or so but for the most part right now the room is hot and usually humid. Looking forward to winter when I can keep the room closer to 18 or so.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2010 3:50:51 PM

Best answer selected by greeneman510.
Score
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2010 3:51:37 PM

This case was sold, so I don't think this is relevant any more. Although for the record frys.com has the raven rv01 for sale for $112. Shipping is about $30, but if your not in CA it's a hell of a steal.
Score
!