Sign in with
Your question

Asus essentio CM5570 overclocking guide

Last response: in Overclocking
August 4, 2010 7:49:22 AM

Well I would like to give back to the community I've learned so much from over the years.

I replaced the bios that came with it with the retail one for the actual motherboard so I could overclock no easy task for me!

I recently bought a ASUS ESSENTIO CM5570 AP-006 for only $350 at best buy it was a refurb. (they sent me the wrong model first 2 lol but i finally got the right one)

And of course there are no overclocking options in the bios.

So I did some research and found the motherboard is the P5QL-VM-EPU

So steps to do this are:

Step 1: Download the newest bio for the motherboard here in the downloads section I believe it's 0601

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=wlBGtZNOPfeanWHH&...

Step 2: You need to make a USB dos bootable disk here is an easy guide with picture I can't find the one I used

http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm

Step 3: Get afudos engineering edition the regular one will not work. I found it here from another user on here

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/19/174415/AFUDOS229...

Step 4: on your now bootable usb disk you need to put afudos and the bio rom file on it and rename the rom file so it is less than 8 letters long since most dos versions can't read over 8 letter words. example P5QLVM.ROM

Step 5: reboot and go into your bios setting and under boot devices go to hard disks and change it from your hard disk being first to the USB drive first. (took me awhile to find the right place it's NOT under boot order removable devices)

Step 6: when your reboot it should launch into dos and type this to run the afudos and to ignore all the bios checks.

afudos /iP5QLVM.ROM /pbnc /n

That's it now you have the proper retail bios for this machine! good luck also this mobo has a way to restore the bios if it gets corrupted i'm not sure on how to do it but back up your original bios first. It took me about 4 hours to figure all this out so hopefully it will save you guys some time.
August 4, 2010 8:05:01 AM

I'm also only been able to get a 5% a.i. overclock :(  which is terrible but maybe I can do some manual tweaking It's only got ddr2-800 i believe which i think would limit me?

Not sure never been good on the ram timings side of things? Any advice?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
August 4, 2010 6:47:10 PM

try lowering the ram frequency when you are overclocking otherwise the RAM will become unstable and crash the system
m
l
Related resources
August 7, 2010 1:18:21 AM

had typo on model number now corrected
m
l
August 16, 2010 7:46:22 AM

well had my baby last week so been busy but got it up to around 2.6 with lower ram timmings and lil increased voltage. but windows vista wouldn't boot ;(

opened up case and added some more ram to 8gigs of matching ram from the wrong model they sent me found out they didn't even have 1 case fan in it so i added a giant side fan and a small back fan to blow some air in it but even that didn't help with overclocking mmm maybe i should hook up my water cooler the good 'ol nautilus by coorsair.

arggg looks like 5% is max
m
l
August 17, 2010 11:42:43 PM

I followed your instructions as I too have an 5570, Can go past 20% easily usings the automatic overclock bios settings at 3.2GHZ, I intend to go faster tonight using manual settings. I read on overclockers.net forum that an E5300 can be pushed to 3.7 without additional cooling because the Stock cooling unit is pretty decent, surpass that quite easy with aftermarket cooling (4ghz+).

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/644071-e5300-owners...
m
l
August 18, 2010 2:22:56 AM

Yes I have the Quad Core Q8200 in mine... the first one they sent me was the E5300 which was wrong it's a sub model number AP-002 I have AP-006
m
l
August 18, 2010 2:25:09 AM

sKorcheD said:
I followed your instructions as I too have an 5570, Can go past 20% easily usings the automatic overclock bios settings at 3.2GHZ, I intend to go faster tonight using manual settings. I read on overclockers.net forum that an E5300 can be pushed to 3.7 without additional cooling because the Stock cooling unit is pretty decent, surpass that quite easy with aftermarket cooling (4ghz+).

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/644071-e5300-owners...

And the Q8200 is known for being a bad overclocker.... but I love it it's so much faster than my dual core i had running at 3.6 ghz
m
l
August 18, 2010 4:15:37 AM

I'm stuck at 354 fsb for an overclock of 2478 mghz and changed timings, voltages, everything i can think of argg terrible.... can't find a memory ratio setting in this bios....
m
l
August 18, 2010 5:02:42 AM

I got one working boot into windows at 360 and one at 358 but after reboot it wouldn't get back into windows.... mmmm i'm gunna read up on if i need to increase the north bridge voltage.
m
l
August 23, 2010 8:56:40 PM

There is alot of truth to the quad being alot better all around than dual-cores but if ur going for gaming you won't get much benefit running a "slower" quad, as most games don't take advantage of even dual cores as of yet. Hope u get it cranked up soon.
m
l
August 27, 2010 2:32:16 AM

maybe maybe.. i got every game i play running maxed out on ultra at 1600x900 :)  with over 60fps so i'm happy

except SC II but may need a better graphics card.
m
l
August 30, 2010 6:55:59 PM

warpcrash said:
maybe maybe.. i got every game i play running maxed out on ultra at 1600x900 :)  with over 60fps so i'm happy

except SC II but may need a better graphics card.

Add me as a friend in SC2 :D 
l.threattjr@gmail.com
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 14, 2010 8:54:48 AM

I am following the directions posted but I keep getting the error of being unable to open the .rom file
m
l
October 23, 2010 2:10:00 AM

Quote:
I am following the directions posted but I keep getting the error of being unable to open the .rom file

same for me also, I get the dos screen and I type in exactly what it said to type and I got

error: this program needs to be run in ms-dos mode :( 
please help

system specs just in case.

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.100608-0458)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
System Model: CM5570
BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/02/09 10:09:38 Ver: 08.00.14
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 6142MB RAM
Page File: 1614MB used, 10782MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4650
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9498)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Display Memory: 3830 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1014 MB
Shared Memory: 2815 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (75Hz)
m
l
October 30, 2010 8:10:14 PM

Are you booting in dos? try another version of a ms-dos disk...... or different guide on making bootable usb disk....

like i said i couldn't find the same i used again. but google around for one to make a usb bootable ms-dos disk.

did you unzip the .rom file and rename it to less than 8 letters?
m
l
November 1, 2010 4:30:49 AM

yes I did. I guess I cannot overclock the cm5570
I dont mind to much anymore. ill just buy the same motherboard type for like 80 bucks.
the p5ql-vm-epu
m
l
November 9, 2010 11:53:30 PM

I'm almost certain the problem that you are having is that you are not using the Engineering edition with the link supplied by warpcrash, I Ran into the same problem when I followed his directions because I am very skeptical to downloading some link another user posted on forums, so I downloaded the afudos directly from ASUS for the CM7750, Well the one supplied from ASUS will not let u read that ROM for stupid reasons, it has the PL5Q MB but it came in a System already built by ASUS, so for warranty reasons, it won't let you UPDATE to a bios that has the OCer features enabled. I then said screw it, I hate running stock ASUS systems (its just not right :p ) so I downloaded the afudos version he posted and it worked perfect.
m
l
November 9, 2010 11:55:50 PM

Also when u do get it working, don't freak out because the Video card bios settings resets to Onboard video, as I did. :p 
m
l
November 11, 2010 2:42:10 AM

sKorcheD said:
I'm almost certain the problem that you are having is that you are not using the Engineering edition with the link supplied by warpcrash, I Ran into the same problem when I followed his directions because I am very skeptical to downloading some link another user posted on forums, so I downloaded the afudos directly from ASUS for the CM7750, Well the one supplied from ASUS will not let u read that ROM for stupid reasons, it has the PL5Q MB but it came in a System already built by ASUS, so for warranty reasons, it won't let you UPDATE to a bios that has the OCer features enabled. I then said screw it, I hate running stock ASUS systems (its just not right :p ) so I downloaded the afudos version he posted and it worked perfect.

can you give me the link to the afudos edition?
m
l
November 11, 2010 3:48:15 PM

I will follow the guide again but this time with the afudos version and update you on what happens
m
l
November 11, 2010 4:54:32 PM

sKorcheD said:

heres the error message I get with the link you provided me and I followed everything EXACT!

m
l
November 12, 2010 7:30:46 PM

Is the rom file unzipped and in the same folder as afudos? your getting close man
m
l
November 12, 2010 7:31:36 PM

and I wouldn't waste money getting a new mobo this hardware is obsolete already
m
l
November 12, 2010 7:34:31 PM

are you using dos with in windows 98? I do not think that will work but it's been a awhile and try naming it the same name i used maybe
m
l
November 13, 2010 12:20:09 AM

im doing exactly what the guide said to do ive gotten this error before, even when I named it the same way
m
l
November 13, 2010 8:44:49 PM

Also I don't know if you've tried this already or not but, try re-downloading the rom as well, very well possible your download just got corrupted.
m
l
November 15, 2010 7:31:22 PM

:bounce:  hey warpcrash im the not so proud owner of a non overclockable asus cm5571 and was wondering if this will work with mine?
mine is a P5QL-M/EPU same as the P5QL-VM/EPU but with ddr3 instead of ddr2. i want to kinda get a rough estimate cause im kinda new to the pre-built systems and i think it might be my last so any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance
m
l
November 16, 2010 7:32:36 PM

warpcrash said:
Is the rom file unzipped and in the same folder as afudos? your getting close man

do you have to put afudos and the rom in a folder?
I just have it at the root of H:
m
l
November 21, 2010 7:14:19 PM

try different methods, redownload the rom, i think it would be ok if they were both on the root , as for the different motherboard you would likely need the corresponding rom file for that motherboard..... but i imagine the method would work. and again you have to use the engineering edition of afudos the regular one will not work.
m
l
November 21, 2010 8:25:12 PM

finally got it to work
m
l
November 21, 2010 8:54:44 PM

and how did you achieve success?
m
l
November 23, 2010 2:26:25 AM

Anybody know if this will work for the asus cm5571 p5ql-m/epu/cm5571 ???????
m
l
November 23, 2010 8:08:31 PM

like i said i would assume the method would work. just gotta use the right bios.
m
l
November 24, 2010 1:59:00 AM

alright i didnt know that post was aimed at me but if i just need the right one do you have any suggestions as too which one will work and not brick the bios chip? i guess i could say i got bored and called asus and the replacment bios chip isnt covered under warrenty :-( but i have looked but the closest ones i can find only have 2 memory slots and my google search leeds me to believe that if i did and it worked it would knock-out every extra piece on the mobo that the one i used the bios file from didnt have. :pfff:  i like my excessories
m
l
November 26, 2010 4:26:00 AM

look on the asus site for correct bios. and most of the new mobos have a way to flash even if u do brick it so you don't have buy a new chip.
m
l
November 27, 2010 3:26:19 PM

warpcrash said:
look on the asus site for correct bios. and most of the new mobos have a way to flash even if u do brick it so you don't have buy a new chip.

ive been there and the p5ql-vm/epu is the one ive got but mine has the ddr3 controllers hence the p5ql-m without the v same thing tho. and i know asus probably lied to me but they said this mobo doesnt have that nice and easy wipe clean method they said i have to buy a bios chip
m
l
November 29, 2010 3:43:24 AM

i can't think of any P5 boards that run ddr 3 you may be misinformed on what you have.

the model should be on the motherboard somewhere.

did you open your case up and look inside and verify that is what you have? I don't see any drivers for that model.

if you are correct then sadly you may be stuck with an OEM mobo and will not be able to access retail features like overclocking.

m
l
November 30, 2010 1:39:06 AM

did you open up the case and see what the mobo is? i doubt they would have a designed a motherboard just for a small production run of these desktops. they might have just renamed the driver to detour people from knowing what is inside. don't be afraid open it up. the model number should be printed on the board.
m
l
November 30, 2010 2:13:56 AM

try the Asus AI Suite you should be able to unlock the fsb and overclock that way
m
l
November 30, 2010 4:04:51 AM

alright im downloading it now and will try it that way mine didnt come with the suite just the manager
but im thinking about selling mine and getting the i7 920 version with 9gigs ddr3 and it comes out of the box overclockable with a gtx 260 core 216
not too bad for $689.99
m
l
November 30, 2010 5:00:07 AM

yep that would be a nice rig. mine was a good deal b/c quad core. it smokes faster dual cores.
m
l
November 30, 2010 5:05:02 AM

ya mines not too bad right now ive got a q6600 in my cm5571 it was really good with high end games until i bought battlefield bad company 2 and max out the settings and cooked my 8800ultra :cry:  and gaming on a gma x4500 really blows
but ive tried the ai suite but the ai booster only gives me access to the cpu frequency ? any suggestions
ive managed to get the freq. from 266.00 to 285.00 but i tried jumping to 300 and everything went star wars on me
m
l
November 30, 2010 5:40:36 AM

1 mhz at a time... you prolly wont get much out of it but something better than nothing.
m
l
November 30, 2010 2:18:14 PM

yea my nephews have that one.
m
l
!