Asus essentio CM5570 overclocking guide

warpcrash

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Well I would like to give back to the community I've learned so much from over the years.

I replaced the bios that came with it with the retail one for the actual motherboard so I could overclock no easy task for me!

I recently bought a ASUS ESSENTIO CM5570 AP-006 for only $350 at best buy it was a refurb. (they sent me the wrong model first 2 lol but i finally got the right one)

And of course there are no overclocking options in the bios.

So I did some research and found the motherboard is the P5QL-VM-EPU

So steps to do this are:

Step 1: Download the newest bio for the motherboard here in the downloads section I believe it's 0601

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=wlBGtZNOPfeanWHH&templete=2

Step 2: You need to make a USB dos bootable disk here is an easy guide with picture I can't find the one I used

http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm

Step 3: Get afudos engineering edition the regular one will not work. I found it here from another user on here

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/19/174415/AFUDOS229ES.zip

Step 4: on your now bootable usb disk you need to put afudos and the bio rom file on it and rename the rom file so it is less than 8 letters long since most dos versions can't read over 8 letter words. example P5QLVM.ROM

Step 5: reboot and go into your bios setting and under boot devices go to hard disks and change it from your hard disk being first to the USB drive first. (took me awhile to find the right place it's NOT under boot order removable devices)

Step 6: when your reboot it should launch into dos and type this to run the afudos and to ignore all the bios checks.

afudos /iP5QLVM.ROM /pbnc /n

That's it now you have the proper retail bios for this machine! good luck also this mobo has a way to restore the bios if it gets corrupted i'm not sure on how to do it but back up your original bios first. It took me about 4 hours to figure all this out so hopefully it will save you guys some time.

warpcrash

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
I'm also only been able to get a 5% a.i. overclock :( which is terrible but maybe I can do some manual tweaking It's only got ddr2-800 i believe which i think would limit me?

Not sure never been good on the ram timings side of things? Any advice?

warpcrash

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
well had my baby last week so been busy but got it up to around 2.6 with lower ram timmings and lil increased voltage. but windows vista wouldn't boot ;(

opened up case and added some more ram to 8gigs of matching ram from the wrong model they sent me found out they didn't even have 1 case fan in it so i added a giant side fan and a small back fan to blow some air in it but even that didn't help with overclocking mmm maybe i should hook up my water cooler the good 'ol nautilus by coorsair.

arggg looks like 5% is max

sKorcheD

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I followed your instructions as I too have an 5570, Can go past 20% easily usings the automatic overclock bios settings at 3.2GHZ, I intend to go faster tonight using manual settings. I read on overclockers.net forum that an E5300 can be pushed to 3.7 without additional cooling because the Stock cooling unit is pretty decent, surpass that quite easy with aftermarket cooling (4ghz+).

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/644071-e5300-owners-overclocking-club.html

warpcrash

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010

And the Q8200 is known for being a bad overclocker.... but I love it it's so much faster than my dual core i had running at 3.6 ghz

warpcrash

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
I'm stuck at 354 fsb for an overclock of 2478 mghz and changed timings, voltages, everything i can think of argg terrible.... can't find a memory ratio setting in this bios....

warpcrash

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
I got one working boot into windows at 360 and one at 358 but after reboot it wouldn't get back into windows.... mmmm i'm gunna read up on if i need to increase the north bridge voltage.

sKorcheD

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
There is alot of truth to the quad being alot better all around than dual-cores but if ur going for gaming you won't get much benefit running a "slower" quad, as most games don't take advantage of even dual cores as of yet. Hope u get it cranked up soon.

sKorcheD

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010

Add me as a friend in SC2 :D
l.threattjr@gmail.com

cacoulte

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
I am following the directions posted but I keep getting the error of being unable to open the .rom file

same for me also, I get the dos screen and I type in exactly what it said to type and I got

error: this program needs to be run in ms-dos mode :(
please help

system specs just in case.

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.100608-0458)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
System Model: CM5570
BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/02/09 10:09:38 Ver: 08.00.14
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 6142MB RAM
Page File: 1614MB used, 10782MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4650
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9498)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Display Memory: 3830 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1014 MB
Shared Memory: 2815 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (75Hz)

warpcrash

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Are you booting in dos? try another version of a ms-dos disk...... or different guide on making bootable usb disk....

like i said i couldn't find the same i used again. but google around for one to make a usb bootable ms-dos disk.

did you unzip the .rom file and rename it to less than 8 letters?

sKorcheD

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I'm almost certain the problem that you are having is that you are not using the Engineering edition with the link supplied by warpcrash, I Ran into the same problem when I followed his directions because I am very skeptical to downloading some link another user posted on forums, so I downloaded the afudos directly from ASUS for the CM7750, Well the one supplied from ASUS will not let u read that ROM for stupid reasons, it has the PL5Q MB but it came in a System already built by ASUS, so for warranty reasons, it won't let you UPDATE to a bios that has the OCer features enabled. I then said screw it, I hate running stock ASUS systems (its just not right :p) so I downloaded the afudos version he posted and it worked perfect.

cacoulte

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

can you give me the link to the afudos edition?

cacoulte

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

heres the error message I get with the link you provided me and I followed everything EXACT!

293hm53.jpg

TRENDING THREADS