Hi. Just switching over to a new XP Pro machine. I understnad there is no
more autoexec.bat. I tried to add the following to
c:\winnt\system32\autoexec.nt:

subst i: c:\network
subst j: c:\test
subst k: c:\dennis

I rebooted, but nothing happened. Could someone tell me where I could add
these commands? Or is there another way to define drive letters as folders?

When you start a dos or Win 3.11 program they'll be executed then. Put them in a shortcut and drag them to the startup folder.

http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm
"Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message news:%23zO8LbJLEHA.3292@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hi. Just switching over to a new XP Pro machine. I understnad there is no
> more autoexec.bat. I tried to add the following to
> c:\winnt\system32\autoexec.nt:
>
> subst i: c:\network
> subst j: c:\test
> subst k: c:\dennis
>

> I rebooted, but nothing happened. Could someone tell me where I could add
> these commands? Or is there another way to define drive letters as folders?

But I want the whole system to recognize them. I know you can define a
drive as a folder. Can't you define a folder as a drive? ...Dennis

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
When you start a dos or Win 3.11 program they'll be executed then. Put them
in a shortcut and drag them to the startup folder.

http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm
"Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> Hi. Just switching over to a new XP Pro machine. I understnad there is
no
> more autoexec.bat. I tried to add the following to
> c:\winnt\system32\autoexec.nt:
>
> subst i: c:\network
> subst j: c:\test
> subst k: c:\dennis
>

> I rebooted, but nothing happened. Could someone tell me where I could add
> these commands? Or is there another way to define drive letters as
folders?

Sentence 1 explains why your way doesn't work. Sentence 2 tells you how to make it work.

"Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message news:%23cEtTxKLEHA.620@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> But I want the whole system to recognize them. I know you can define a
> drive as a folder. Can't you define a folder as a drive? ...Dennis
>
> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
> When you start a dos or Win 3.11 program they'll be executed then. Put them
> in a shortcut and drag them to the startup folder.

> http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm
> "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. Just switching over to a new XP Pro machine. I understnad there is
> no
> > more autoexec.bat. I tried to add the following to
> > c:\winnt\system32\autoexec.nt:
> >
> > subst i: c:\network
> > subst j: c:\test
> > subst k: c:\dennis
> >

> > I rebooted, but nothing happened. Could someone tell me where I could add
> > these commands? Or is there another way to define drive letters as
> folders?

Yes, for a DOS or Windows 3.11 application, but what about a windows XP
application?

In the help and support folder I read where I set the folder's proerties as
networked shared and then map a network drive. I can mark the folder as a
network shareable, but how do I get it in the folder area of the create map
drive dialog?

One other possibility is to purchase a utility called foldertodrive.

Sentence 1 explains why your way doesn't work. Sentence 2 tells you how to
make it work.

http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm
"Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> But I want the whole system to recognize them. I know you can define a
> drive as a folder. Can't you define a folder as a drive? ...Dennis
>
> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
> When you start a dos or Win 3.11 program they'll be executed then. Put
them
> in a shortcut and drag them to the startup folder.

> http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm
> "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. Just switching over to a new XP Pro machine. I understnad there is
> no
> > more autoexec.bat. I tried to add the following to
> > c:\winnt\system32\autoexec.nt:
> >
> > subst i: c:\network
> > subst j: c:\test
> > subst k: c:\dennis
> >

> > I rebooted, but nothing happened. Could someone tell me where I could
add
> > these commands? Or is there another way to define drive letters as
> folders?

"Put them in a shortcut and drag them to the startup folder."

Put subst d: c:\ (or whatever) into a shortcut and drag it to your startup folder on the start menu.

autoexec.nt is used for 16 bit programs.

"Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message news:OSVNRAMLEHA.3332@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Yes, for a DOS or Windows 3.11 application, but what about a windows XP
> application?
>
> In the help and support folder I read where I set the folder's proerties as
> networked shared and then map a network drive. I can mark the folder as a
> network shareable, but how do I get it in the folder area of the create map
> drive dialog?
>
> One other possibility is to purchase a utility called foldertodrive.
>
> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Sentence 1 explains why your way doesn't work. Sentence 2 tells you how to
> make it work.

> http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm
> "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> > But I want the whole system to recognize them. I know you can define a
> > drive as a folder. Can't you define a folder as a drive? ...Dennis
> >
> > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > When you start a dos or Win 3.11 program they'll be executed then. Put
> them
> > in a shortcut and drag them to the startup folder.
> >
> > --
> > http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm
> > "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi. Just switching over to a new XP Pro machine. I understnad there is
> > no
> > > more autoexec.bat. I tried to add the following to
> > > c:\winnt\system32\autoexec.nt:
> > >
> > > subst i: c:\network
> > > subst j: c:\test
> > > subst k: c:\dennis
> > >

> > > I rebooted, but nothing happened. Could someone tell me where I could
> add
> > > these commands? Or is there another way to define drive letters as
> > folders?

It worked. Somehow I had the notion that putting a batch file in the
startup folder wouldn't be permanent. Sorry for the crossed lines. Thanks.

Question. Is there anyway to execute the batch file with displaying a
window?

"Put them in a shortcut and drag them to the startup folder."

Put subst d: c:\ (or whatever) into a shortcut and drag it to your startup
folder on the start menu.

autoexec.nt is used for 16 bit programs.

http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm
"Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> Yes, for a DOS or Windows 3.11 application, but what about a windows XP
> application?
>
> In the help and support folder I read where I set the folder's proerties
as
> networked shared and then map a network drive. I can mark the folder as a
> network shareable, but how do I get it in the folder area of the create
map
> drive dialog?
>
> One other possibility is to purchase a utility called foldertodrive.
>
> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Sentence 1 explains why your way doesn't work. Sentence 2 tells you how to
> make it work.

> http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm
> "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> > But I want the whole system to recognize them. I know you can define a
> > drive as a folder. Can't you define a folder as a drive? ...Dennis
> >
> > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > When you start a dos or Win 3.11 program they'll be executed then. Put
> them
> > in a shortcut and drag them to the startup folder.
> >
> > --
> > http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm
> > "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi. Just switching over to a new XP Pro machine. I understnad there
is
> > no
> > > more autoexec.bat. I tried to add the following to
> > > c:\winnt\system32\autoexec.nt:
> > >
> > > subst i: c:\network
> > > subst j: c:\test
> > > subst k: c:\dennis
> > >

> > > I rebooted, but nothing happened. Could someone tell me where I could
> add
> > > these commands? Or is there another way to define drive letters as
> > folders?

If you don't understand what I'm saying say what you don't understand.

http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm
"Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message news:OSVNRAMLEHA.3332@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Yes, for a DOS or Windows 3.11 application, but what about a windows XP
> application?
>
> In the help and support folder I read where I set the folder's proerties as
> networked shared and then map a network drive. I can mark the folder as a
> network shareable, but how do I get it in the folder area of the create map
> drive dialog?
>
> One other possibility is to purchase a utility called foldertodrive.
>
> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Sentence 1 explains why your way doesn't work. Sentence 2 tells you how to
> make it work.

> http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm
> "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> > But I want the whole system to recognize them. I know you can define a
> > drive as a folder. Can't you define a folder as a drive? ...Dennis
> >
> > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > When you start a dos or Win 3.11 program they'll be executed then. Put
> them
> > in a shortcut and drag them to the startup folder.
> >
> > --
> > http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm
> > "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi. Just switching over to a new XP Pro machine. I understnad there is
> > no
> > > more autoexec.bat. I tried to add the following to
> > > c:\winnt\system32\autoexec.nt:
> > >
> > > subst i: c:\network
> > > subst j: c:\test
> > > subst k: c:\dennis
> > >

> > > I rebooted, but nothing happened. Could someone tell me where I could
> add
> > > these commands? Or is there another way to define drive letters as
> > folders?

Not really (it is but ...). Set the shortcut properties to run minimised (and put a shortcut to the bat in startup not the bat itself).

If you must hide it, put it in Task Scheduler (at startup) and use an account other than yours - then you won't see it.
And the band played ....
http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html