Upgrade controller in standalone 2-bay RAID box

russdog

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I have a couple stand-alone 2-bay RAID boxes (for use with DVR's and music servers). Both do fine with a pair of 1TB HDD's but neither can cope with 2TB HDD's. I don't want to replace both RAID boxes. Rather, I want to replace the internal raid controller, thus upgrading the boxes to be able to cope with 2TB HDD's. Does anybody know what I need to purchase to do this? If there are multiple options, which are the preferred choices? thanks...

russdog

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010

Is there something about the internet that mandates snark?

The manufacturers want to sell me a new box. I want to upgrade one internal part. The box manufacturers don't make the internal part, they just buy whatever comes off the boat from China and put it in their box. I'm asking if anybody knows what I need to get to replace a simple standalone RAID controller that goes in a simple standalone 2-bay RAID box, such that the replacement will be able to handle a pair of 2TB HDD's. Since some standalone 2-bay RAID boxes seem to work more reliably and more generally than others, I would also love to know which of the available choices folks think are the preferred ones.

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
The short answer is if you can, wait till next year, with Advanced Format, LLBA, AutoAlign (etc, etc), the HD industry is in a state of major change... it's also not so simple to just change the controller, you'd have to change the complete control board with another of the same dimensions, mounting holes, connectors etc... The manufacturers often buy a controller "off the shelf" but the board it's mounted on will be a custom build to fit the housing.

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Snark reply...Once again you ask a question about hardware without letting your audience know about the manufacturer, why is that??? Why don't you just purchase a PCIe RAID controller with eSATA ports and DO IT YOURSELF?? Why don't you increase your paper route subscribers and spend some money on what you really want...

TRENDING THREADS