Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte EX58 Extreme

Last response: in Motherboards
June 28, 2009 1:43:05 PM

Hello All,

Hopefully someone can help me as I've been experiencing a few issues with my new-build i7 machine.

I have the Gigabyte EX58 Extreme motherboard (the one of the silent pipe heatsink) with an i7 920, ATI HD4870 1GB and 3 x 2GB RAM but the computer won't boot if I use all 3 DIMM modules in the white DIMM slots.

If I fill the first two, the computer boots fine (into Windows Vista) and it recognises that I have 4GB RAM. However, if I take up that final slot, the computer will turn on but after POSTing, windows won't load and I have to force shut down the machine.

I'm not sure whether the problem is with the memory or the motherboard itself (I'm really hoping it's the memory!). Unfortunately due to working commitments, I'm not actually at home over the next two weeks to start testing the modules individually, so I was just afer some quick answers if any of you have experienced this before.

When I'm in Windows with 4GB and I try and use the EasyTune facility to overclock and I overclock it to say, 3.2GHz, I get the same booting issue as when I have 6GB RAM in the system- I have to turn everything back down again in the BIOS before I can boot up again.

Temperatures for the CPU are in the very low 20's so I don't think it's a heat issue, although the motherboard system temperature seems to be around 50c when idling, which i thought was quite hight considering the mobo has a huge heatsink attached to it. and good air flow (I'm using an Antec P183 case with 3 noctua fans and an Arctic Twin Turbo on the graphics card)

Hopefully all of this makes sense....please let me know if you need any further clarification.

Thanks in advance for your help!

More about : gigabyte ex58 extreme

June 28, 2009 6:57:23 PM

simon_t said:
Hello All,

Hopefully someone can help me as I've been experiencing a few issues with my new-build i7 machine.

I have the Gigabyte EX58 Extreme motherboard (the one of the silent pipe heatsink) with an i7 920, ATI HD4870 1GB and 3 x 2GB RAM but the computer won't boot if I use all 3 DIMM modules in the white DIMM slots.

If I fill the first two, the computer boots fine (into Windows Vista) and it recognises that I have 4GB RAM. However, if I take up that final slot, the computer will turn on but after POSTing, windows won't load and I have to force shut down the machine.

I'm not sure whether the problem is with the memory or the motherboard itself (I'm really hoping it's the memory!). Unfortunately due to working commitments, I'm not actually at home over the next two weeks to start testing the modules individually, so I was just afer some quick answers if any of you have experienced this before.

When I'm in Windows with 4GB and I try and use the EasyTune facility to overclock and I overclock it to say, 3.2GHz, I get the same booting issue as when I have 6GB RAM in the system- I have to turn everything back down again in the BIOS before I can boot up again.

Temperatures for the CPU are in the very low 20's so I don't think it's a heat issue, although the motherboard system temperature seems to be around 50c when idling, which i thought was quite hight considering the mobo has a huge heatsink attached to it. and good air flow (I'm using an Antec P183 case with 3 noctua fans and an Arctic Twin Turbo on the graphics card)

Hopefully all of this makes sense....please let me know if you need any further clarification.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The following discussion assumes:

1. We are talking about the GIGABYTE GA-EX58-EXTREME LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

2. that you are looking at your board oriented with the memory slots running up-down and in the upper right corner.

The slots are labled, left to right as DDR3_2, DDR3_1, DDR3_4, DDR3_3, DDR3_6, DDR3_5.

For three chips, you want DDR3_1, DDR3_3, and DDR3_5 populated.

Left to right, the sequence is: empty, full, empty, full, empty, full.

Is this what you did?

If the answer is yes, will the machine boot with just that 3rd stick all by itself? If not, maybe the stick is bad.

Mike Ramsey
June 29, 2009 12:38:29 PM

MikeJRamsey said:
The following discussion assumes:

1. We are talking about the GIGABYTE GA-EX58-EXTREME LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

2. that you are looking at your board oriented with the memory slots running up-down and in the upper right corner.

The slots are labled, left to right as DDR3_2, DDR3_1, DDR3_4, DDR3_3, DDR3_6, DDR3_5.

For three chips, you want DDR3_1, DDR3_3, and DDR3_5 populated.

Left to right, the sequence is: empty, full, empty, full, empty, full.

Is this what you did?

If the answer is yes, will the machine boot with just that 3rd stick all by itself? If not, maybe the stick is bad.

Mike Ramsey

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you're correct in all your assumptions. The modules are in the white DIMM slots so it's currently set up as follows: empty, full, empty, full, empty, full.

As stated previously I won't be home for a few weeks to test this, unfortunately, but it's reassuring to think that it's probably a RAM issue and not a motherboard one (I guess it would also explain the unstability when attempting to overclock).

Thanks for your help.
!