Sign in with
Your question

EliteGroup P4M900T-M2 Question

Last response: in Motherboards
June 28, 2009 8:07:18 PM

Hi there,

Im looking for a quick response from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Basically I'm upgrading my CPU from a Pentium D 820 to a Core 2 Duo E7500. However I'm not sure if the board supports this cpu.

Heres a link to the cpu support list page: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Support/CPU_Support_Mo...

What confuses me is my current cpu isn't listed on there - therefore it works fine. So my question is will this be the same for the E7500 also? Does the support list provided matter?

Any replies will be greatly appriciated ;) 

Thankyou.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2009 8:49:47 PM

There is a problem with your theory. Your processor is older than anything on that list. They may have simply dropped it from the list since it has not been manufactured in several years...... What you are talking about is putting in a newest technology type processor.
I haven't researched this completely, but I am saying 99% chance no, it will not work.
ECS motherboard with a VIA chipset, man you are really at the bottom of the barrel there. Why not spend a little more, and get a decent modern board to go with that new processor?
June 28, 2009 8:58:57 PM

jitpublisher said:
There is a problem with your theory. Your processor is older than anything on that list. They may have simply dropped it from the list since it has not been manufactured in several years...... What you are talking about is putting in a newest technology type processor.
I haven't researched this completely, but I am saying 99% chance no, it will not work.
ECS motherboard with a VIA chipset, man you are really at the bottom of the barrel there. Why not spend a little more, and get a decent modern board to go with that new processor?

Hi there,

The motherboard choice is really down to buying the PC from ebay a while back when I didn't know anything about PC's. I thought Dual Core meant it was a beast of a machine.

I see what you mean about wasting a good cpu on a bad motherboard - Would you suggest a good mobo for around the 50-60 mark? It needs to be good for games, editing, etc.

Thanks.

Edit: I currently have a 4850 and 2 gigs of DDR2.
June 29, 2009 4:46:15 PM

Bump
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 29, 2009 5:51:14 PM

If you notice, none of the supported processors are 45 nm. I wonder why?
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 29, 2009 6:23:43 PM

Doesn't look like it's updated to support the 45nm CPUs. It could possibly work, but I doubt it. I believe that old VIA chipset was really only designed to work with P4s and 800MHz bus speeds, so changes to the BIOS needed to be made to force support for C2 Duos. Also, the newer 45nm C2s have different power requirements and what not so it's likely the board just won't know what to do with it and refuse to post. You may be able to hack the BIOS to force support, but of course you do so at your own risk.
June 29, 2009 7:19:36 PM

hundredislandsboy said:
If you notice, none of the supported processors are 45 nm. I wonder why?

Yes after I stopped and thought about it I realised its not a 45nm chipset - How stupid of me :pt1cable: 
I'd rather upgrade to a newer motherboard that has the capabilities of overclocking the new cpu FSB etc.

@ Megaman, Thanks for your suggestions, I don't go alot on the thought of messing around with the BIOS since I nearly lost my current one trying to flash it incorrectly (yes I know again - I'm a novice in these kind of things). However that does sound interesting, but as said before I'm kind of set on upgrading now anyway.

So back to my previous question, what is the best mobo I can get for around 50-60 pounds?

Thanks in advance,

Matt.
!