t3bing

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
CPU: Intel Q6600 (oc'd to 3GHz)
Mobo: DFI LanParty DK P35-T2RS
Video: MSI NX8800GT 512MB
Ram: Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
PSU: Corsair VX450W

I built this system last summer, and it was working fine until a few days ago when I added a wireless card (Netgear WG311v3). Then it started acting funny on power up, the fans would spin up (and sounded louder than usual) but the hard drive light wouldn't light up and it wouldn't POST. So I would power-cycle it, and then it would boot just fine the second time. I had to go through this routine every time I turned the computer on. It was weird, but I could still get it to boot so I didn't think much of it.

Then this morning I turned it on, and as usual only the fans spun up and nothing else happened. So I power-cycled it, but this time it still wouldn't boot no matter how many times I turned it off and on. I tried resetting the CMOS, still didn't work. So then I took the motherboard out and put it on some styrofoam, and stripped it down to just CPU, memory, and video card. I also scrounged up a speaker from an old PC and plugged it into the mobo (my case didn't have one built-in). Now when I turn it on with this configuration, the speaker just keeps beeping nonstop until I turn it back off. I'm not sure what the beep codes are for the BIOS that comes with this mobo, I tried googling but I couldn't find much...

Anyway, I'm guessing either the mobo or the RAM is bad. No matter which stick of RAM I have plugged in, I get the same nonstop beeping. So it seems either all 4 sticks went bad all at once, or the mobo is fried. I'm going to try replacing the mobo first, but is there anything else I should check before doing that? Btw, I did test the PSU in a different box, and that one was able to POST, so I think the power supply is ok.

Thanks!

Mondoman

Splendid
Make sure you CPU cooler's power cord is plugged into the CPU connector -- some MBs will sound the beeping and not start up if they think the CPU cooler's fan is not spinning.

Continuous beep MAY be "no power", loose card, or short, though your mobo's manual says there are only two beep codes possible: vid card (long, 3 shorts) or memory (single long).

You can start at the diagnostic beginning . . . pull everything including all usb and memory, and see if you get the memory post error. Insert one stick and see what happens. Add your C drive, see what happens, etc.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

"So then I took the motherboard out and put it on some styrofoam,..."

Please tell me it wasn't really styrofoam... Please tell me it was the anti-stat foam that came with your MB, covered with the anti-stat bag that your MB came in... Or please tell me at least that it was an old piece of cardboard, a beer box, an old newspaper, ANYTHING but styrofoam!