Sign in with
Your question

0 Reviews on Newegg = OK Motherboard or no?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 29, 2009 12:41:20 AM

Newegg is currently running a sale, $199 for:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

- AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor Model HDZ940XCGIBOX - Retail

- BIOSTAR TA790GXB A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

- MBSALE10 discount code for -$10 (today only!)

This looks like a great deal, and that CPU is just awesome, with 1285 reviews (5 star average).

The motherboard however, has 0 reviews... That worries me a bit...

I'm always skeptical of buying computer parts with 0 reviews, in fear that my PC will just fry 3 weeks later.

What do you think?

Is this a good motherboard?

Is it a good deal?

(Are there any better deals you know of?)
a c 435 V Motherboard
a b À AMD
June 29, 2009 12:46:14 AM

The board gets mixed reviews, but the 790 chipset is the best available for amd cpus. I've never had any problems with biostar.
June 29, 2009 12:53:27 AM

Quote:
The board gets mixed reviews

Hmm....

6 hours to make the decision. Ahhh
Related resources
June 29, 2009 2:10:58 AM

Anyone else have any opinions?
June 29, 2009 2:52:33 AM

For 10 dollars with promo code you cant go wrong. If you were going to buy the 940 anyway, a 10$ gamble isn't a big deal. I was going to buy my new rig on Wednesday, but did it today based on that combo deal. If it's trash in 3 weeks, I lost 10$. If not... I saved 90$
August 14, 2009 10:59:33 PM

I guess this is a little late to help much, but I'm curious to know if anyone actually made that bundle purchase and how it has worked out.

I took the plunge (I was at a crossroads with upgrades, and this seemed like a good way to move up and maybe save a buck), but have had some problems that seem to be related to this board's SLI configuration or onboard graphics.

If anyone did make this purchase, I'd sure like to know if you've had any experiences, especially in the graphics area, that seem odd and/or were difficult to resolve. The problems I've had haven't really caused performance issues, but have manifested more along the lines of artifacts, primarily when playing games like COD4 (although I have also experienced some less significant issues with older games.)

I'm running with 4G (1Gx4) of Corsair, as well as an EVGA 9800GT video card. I've bench tested pretty much everything, but can't seem to isolate the cause of my issues. None of the problems could be reproduced when I ran my components in another setup with a different board, so I would have to conclude that the issues are with this particular board.

When I research the Biostar TA790GXB A2+, however,I don't find much - only things related to the model number TA790GX. I don't know enough about motherboards to know if this is actually the same board as the one I have or something completely different, but the problems described are very similar to what I am experiencing.

Any help or info would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks.
!