Error Meassage After Running System Mechanic

shep3300

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I received the following error after running System Mechanic...." Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information". Here is a list (in order) of what has been done to solve issue.

1. Attempted to use Dell recovery console, but may not have done correct.
2. Tried a fresh install (w/o format)...looked like it loaded fine, but at end, when it says press key to boot into windows, I got same error message.
3. Tried formatting drive, then re-installing windows from scratch...still got error.

During this, i did have to change BIOS to boot from cd drive, as far as I know It wont boot from either selection. Did I miss something here? I suspect a corrupt boot path, but if I can't get past the error message I have no way of telling.

Below are my specs, and ty in advance for any help.

OS- XP
Dell Dimension E310

Boot sector is missing.

1) Insert your XP CD and boot from it.

2) You'll see some files being copied, then you'll be presented with a choice of installing or
repairing an existing installation. Choose Repair.

3) You'll be asked which XP installation you want to log into. Enter 1. There is usually only
one installation.

4) You'll be prompted for the Administrator password. For Home, the default password is blank, so just hit Enter. For Pro, enter the same password you did during setup for the Administrator account (this is not the same as the password for an Admin level account. It must be the Administrator account password).

5) At the C:\Windows prompt, type FIXBOOT. You'll be prompted to confirm. Do so.

6) When FIXBOOT is finished, remove the XP CD and type EXIT and the machine will reboot.
Reconfigure your computer to boot from the hard drive if necessary.