Question about my system

ninfanlink

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I just got a evga gtx295 and i wasnt very happy about the increase in fps over my 8800gt.

So i went reading online and found alot of people talking about how your cpu can bottleneck your videocard.

Here is my system

Q9300 @2.5
8 gigs of ddr2 1066
evga gtx295
Asus maximus formula

So i guess my question is.. how does my cpu slow down my videocard. Second if i overclock my cpu to 3.2ish like alot of peopel have how does that increase my videocards speed?

Im sorry if this is a stupid question but i know nothing about this stuff.

Thanks

Think of it this way. A Ghz is actual speeds or say revolutions. Your GPU can handle a games needs easily, but has to wait for your CPU because its revolutions, or speed, is too slow, and thus has to wait. By increasing the speeds of your cpu, the gpu doesnt have to wait, and can work at full speed, with no slow downs. This is an easy explanation of whats really going on, but hopefully youll understand it better

ninfanlink

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I get it thanks alot, so i guess my next step is to figure out how to overclock my cpu... any pointers or guilds i should real? lol

Go to the cpu overclocking section, where they have a guide on ocing the C2D there. Read it carefully, ask questions in that section if you have any, someone will help you. If you can oc your cpu to 3 Ghz, you should see some decent results in alot of games. Youll most likely need a better cooler for your cpu