Dual desktop TV/monitor

codyo

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Hi, I am currently building a new PC and I had a question about how to set up dual display. I want to be able to run a full screen movie on my TV and still be able to browse the web and such from my monitor. Can I do this? and if so what hardware will I need to set it up? Thanks for you time!

CodyO

Solution
HTPC stands for Home Theater PC; they are usually oriented toward smaller size and "looks" for integration into a living room multimedia cabinet.

HDCP, is a data-encryption mechanism used for HD content. It can be present only on digital transmission (DVI, HDMI) and HD content might not play (or in degraded state (ex: 480p instead of 1080p) if both TV and "emitting device" (Blu-Ray player, console, PC) aren't HDCP compliant.

Zenthar

Distinguished
What kind of inputs does your TV have?

Your PC needs to have 2 outputs (most now have 2xDVI outputs). If your TV doen't have a DVI input or your video doesn't have a HDMI output, you will need a "DVI to HDMI" dongle or cable.

Plug your monitor in your video card, plug your TV in the 2nd output port (with dongle/cable if necessary), enable dual-screen in Windows display settings ... as easy as that.

codyo

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009

My TV has every input imaginable from VGA, DVI, HDMI, S video, and component. I have a friend who has dual monitors set up just like this but if he is running a full screen movie on one monitor, and then clicks on anything on the other monitor, the movie will exit full screen mode. That is what i was trying to avoid. Is that something that can be fixed within the video program? Or does it need set up differently?

The board I currently have is an ASUS M4A78 PRO, with Onboard Video Chipset ATI Radeon HD 3200, Video Ports D-Sub + DVI and 1 x HDMI. I am not currently running any video card. Would I even need one? Or can I use the DVI out and the HDMI out from the motherboard. I don't do much gaming, the only reason I was looking into an upgraded video card was to be able to play Blueray movies to my TV and still be able to browse the web on my monitor.

Zenthar

Distinguished
I'll check about the full-screen thing (got dual-screen at work) and get back to you.

Your MB's on-board video is quite decent, my only concern is the impact of you doing something else while the video in full screen on a 2nd output (if the on-board support dual-output at all). If Not supported by the on-board GPU, a simple 25-35$ 4630 could probably be more than enough anyway.

Ignatowski

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
VLC doesnt exit full screen when i work on the other monitor. i havent tried seeing if it makes a difference whether the monitor is primary or secondary. i use the secondary monitor for video.

you may run across issues when dealing with HDCP when using a tv or playing bluray/HDDvd movies.

Zenthar

Distinguished
HTPC stands for Home Theater PC; they are usually oriented toward smaller size and "looks" for integration into a living room multimedia cabinet.

HDCP, is a data-encryption mechanism used for HD content. It can be present only on digital transmission (DVI, HDMI) and HD content might not play (or in degraded state (ex: 480p instead of 1080p) if both TV and "emitting device" (Blu-Ray player, console, PC) aren't HDCP compliant.

Solution