Asus P5K Jmicron controller vs. Intel Matrix Sotrage Manager

G

Hi there everyone,

I hope you can help me out with this.

I have an Asus P5K mobo with Vista installed using a RAID configuration based on Intel Matrix Storage Manager. I have a couple other hard drives plugged internally that also show up on the Intel Matrix Storage Manager list during the boot sequence.

However, I decided to install Ubuntu on an external eSATA drive. Installation went smoothly but I can't boot up from that drive.

The reason is that the eSATA drive is only detected by the JMicron controller (enabled in the BIOS).

So to summarize, during the boot sequence I see:
1st: the JMicron controller drive list, that's where the eSATA drive shows up
2nd the Intel Matrix Storage Manager drive list, that's where my RAID drives show up.

Doesn't matter whether I change the boot priority in the BIOS to the eSATA drive, Ubuntu won't load (I get a message telling me to insert proper boot media).

So my fear ist that the Intel Manager somehow has priority over the Jmicron controller. Is this correct?

Is there any way to disable Intel Matrix Storage Manager in the BIOS and use only the JMicron controller? If I do so, will I lose my RAID configuration or will I be able to enable it again without further problems?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You need to decide which drive you're going to use, or use a dual boot setup. I disconnected my vista drive when using windows 7 RC. I don't know how to do a dual boot setup with ubuntu. Maybe someone else will know. I couldn't do it when I tried ubuntu about 2 years ago, so I stopped using it.

G

Thanks for your answers but I don't want to configure a dual boot. I want to be able to specify from the BIOS what drive should boot first. And I've actually done it already... ecept for the fact that the Ubuntu drive is not controlled by Intel Matrix Storage Manager and apparently that prevents it from booting.

MikeJRamsey

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Thanks for your answers but I don't want to configure a dual boot. I want to be able to specify from the BIOS what drive should boot first. And I've actually done it already... ecept for the fact that the Ubuntu drive is not controlled by Intel Matrix Storage Manager and apparently that prevents it from booting.

This is why you want GRUB because it can control which OS gets booted. And yes, you are talking about a dual boot capability.

Slowly now ... think it through. :)

Mike Ramsey

TRENDING THREADS