Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Disk drive not showing up?

Last response: in Storage
August 8, 2010 3:56:13 AM

An older hard drive from the last computer was moved into our newer one, and it worked fine for almost year. Just recently I had been looking for a few files and noticed that it wasn't showing up in My Computer. I turned off the computer and double checked the cables and also tried a different SATA port, to no avail. Here is an image that I thought might help you guys give me a hand.

Intel C2Q Q8300
Asus CG5270
Radeon 4760 512MB
I also have a VIA RAID Controller plugged into the mobo, not sure if that changes anything, but the 2nd hard drive worked before with the RAID controller plugged in.
The section that is highlighted and unable to be explored, I am also unable to assign it a letter.

More about : disk drive showing

August 16, 2010 11:45:49 PM

I usually wouldn't bump again, but it's been 5 days, so I thought I'd give it one more shot.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

August 17, 2010 12:05:33 AM

bad news: your drive has failed
good news: it's still physically present and working
neutral news: you'll have to get a data recovery software to get your data back.

i can't speak for the product advertised in my link, i just know that it describes itself as a solution to your exact problem.

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/art-raw-filesystem.htm

i usually pull the drive, plug it into my mac (no, not because it's a mac, because i already have data recovery software on it) and run a recovery on the drive. in this situation i've had a good success rate getting data off. some of the pictures have the grey bars, most dont and you might lose some metadata, but it's better than nothing.
August 17, 2010 12:18:12 AM

nsquid said:
bad news: your drive has failed
good news: it's still physically present and working
neutral news: you'll have to get a data recovery software to get your data back.

i can't speak for the product advertised in my link, i just know that it describes itself as a solution to your exact problem.

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/art-raw-filesystem.htm

i usually pull the drive, plug it into my mac (no, not because it's a mac, because i already have data recovery software on it) and run a recovery on the drive. in this situation i've had a good success rate getting data off. some of the pictures have the grey bars, most dont and you might lose some metadata, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks, I suppose I'll have to try this although the only other computer I have is a laptop, and that wouldn't be a feasible task given the fact that I don't have a Sata>USB cable or anything of the sort. Can I not run the recovery on the computer that the drive is currently in?
m
l
August 17, 2010 12:21:55 AM

oh no, you certainly should be able to, i was just explaining why i haven't used that application or really anything windows based. since you're not booting from the drive you're recovering you don't have to do anything crazy.

there's a demo version on that site, you can scan the drive and recover 4 folders and check their integrity before dropping 50 bucks on it.
m
l
August 17, 2010 12:24:25 AM

I will check it out. After/if I recover anything, is there a way I can format the drive and have it working again?
m
l
August 17, 2010 12:27:26 AM

yes, but with the prices of disk drives these days i usually recommend not doing that. when you can get a 1tb drive for 80 dollars, why risk putting your data on a drive that's already failed?
m
l
August 19, 2010 12:08:28 AM

Best answer selected by ivebeenshottt.
m
l
August 19, 2010 12:49:38 AM

P.s. Tiger direct today has a 500gb drive on sale for 39.99
m
l
!