Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Reuse HD that was in a RAID 0 in a now defunct computer

Last response: in Storage
August 8, 2010 4:41:59 AM

Hello, I harvested the HDDs from my old computer two of which were in a RAID 0 config. I have a StarTech hard drive docking station to reuse old drives such as these. PROBLEM: I cannot initialize or reformat the Ex-RAID drives. The computer consistently wants to reinstall RAID software, so it is seeing the drive as it used to be. I tried using Active@ KillDisk with no success.
a b G Storage
August 8, 2010 5:16:54 AM

System specs please.
m
l
August 8, 2010 7:07:56 AM

What mainboard are you using?

Which ports are the drives attached to? (ie: SATA ports for standard chipset, or SATA ports for 3rd party RAID chipset, etc)
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
August 8, 2010 1:23:40 PM

Sounds like the RAID super block is stored in a Host Protected Area; you need a disk eraser that can detect and erase an HPA.
m
l
August 10, 2010 5:59:39 AM

4745454b said:
System specs please.

I am using my Star Tech hard drive dock connected to the eSATA port on my Vaio laptop. The dock works great with a new 1.5 Tb drive, so I am pretty sure the dock is not the issue. The dock did come with a usb cable too, tomorrow first thing I could see if that would make any difference. The fact that Win 7 Home consistently wants to install RAID software seems to be the problem. I let it do it once, no success reading the drive. I deleted whatever it installed for another try and again, no success. I see another response mentions a block of data that needs to be erased, any suggestions on the program I should try?

Thanks!
m
l
August 10, 2010 6:02:07 AM

MrLinux said:
Sounds like the RAID super block is stored in a Host Protected Area; you need a disk eraser that can detect and erase an HPA.

So MrLinux what program would allow me to erase the RAID super block in a Host Protected Area. I will search right now, but maybe you have hands-on with one?

Thanks!
m
l
August 10, 2010 6:16:57 AM

Scott2010au said:
What mainboard are you using?

Which ports are the drives attached to? (ie: SATA ports for standard chipset, or SATA ports for 3rd party RAID chipset, etc)

In my now dead computer, the two drives that I am attempting to use for general backup (individually), were in a RAID 0, using the SATA RAID chip on my Abit iC7 mb. I do not need any data off the drives, I just want to wipe them and reuse, via the Star Tech hard drive dock connected via the eSATA port on my Vaio laptop.

Thanks!
m
l
August 12, 2010 2:38:16 AM

Anyone....anyone.... have the info on a program which will allow me to alter the HPA??
m
l
a b G Storage
August 12, 2010 2:42:50 AM

I would love to help, but I'm not familiar with docks. All I can suggest is to read the manual, and make sure they are hooked up EXACTLY the way they should be.
m
l
August 12, 2010 3:38:05 AM

thanks Addict. The manual is short & I always read manuals. A new drive works just fine and when I run the program "Active@KillDisk" it actually "sees" the drive (either of the former RAID drives) and reports them as a RAID, but will not wipe them.

Oh, I did hook the dock up via the USB (before I was only using the eSATA connection and the results are still negative. Was worth a try

Somebody must know of a program that will enable the WIPE?!

In case it matters the drives are: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120Gb

Help!
m
l
a b G Storage
August 12, 2010 4:04:15 AM

Ultimate boot disk? I know it has lots of disk utilities and perhaps one of them can wipe it.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 12, 2010 6:16:24 AM

Been awhile since I've used it, but there should be a disk wiper in there somewhere. Zero fill is another term.
m
l
August 15, 2010 4:14:30 AM

Someone has suggested DBAN. I took a look at the site and cannot tell if this would be the way to go, what I cannot tell is will it give me a choice as to which hard drive is getting wiped or will it TOAST my laptop's drive.....
m
l

Best solution

a c 357 G Storage
August 17, 2010 8:07:03 PM

You have not said you have tried to Delete the Partition on that HDD, using Windows Disk Management. You should be aware that the information establishing this unit as a RAID array member is stored in the Partition Table. No Format operation will change that. So, if what you have tried so far is only a Format, read up on use of disk Management and how Partitions are Created and Deleted. If you Delete what is on the unit and then Create a new Primary Partition (that writes a new Partition Table) and finally Format that, it might work OK.

If that does not work, a zero-fill operation on the HDD might do it, because that really does over-write all of the disk. You definitely DO have to be VERY CAREFUL when using such tools to operate ONLY on the correct HDD, because it will destroy all of that unit's contents. DBAN can do the job, I believe. IF the HDD unit is from Seagate, go to their website and download their Seatools for DOS, then install it on a bootable CD. You boot from that and, among its diagnostic tools in the Advanced menu is a Zero Fill operation. It takes a LONG time but it wipes everything and forces the unit to re-check itself and fix any hardware issues it can. AFTER that you can use disk Management to Create a new Primary Partition and Format it.

IF your HDD is by WD, go to their website instead and get their Data Lifeguard diagnostics. Similarly, get the For DOS version and make a bootable CD from it.
August 18, 2010 3:11:35 AM

That makes sense to me PaperDoc! I will do as you suggest asap. I am leery of wiping the drive IN the laptop, I will pay very close attention !

Many Thanks
m
l
August 28, 2010 8:19:23 PM

Best answer selected by ThunderBird Smith.
m
l
!