I need the CPU experts help

tobensg

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
Hi, these systems range from $900 to $1500. Is $1500 your budget? You will can save money by building your own rig. Set your budget first.

randolph4233

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for the responses! I would like to stay around $1,000-$1,300, but had you said the more expensive one was the best, I wouldn't mind paying a bit more to get a great computer. Will those computers run Crysis on high settings? I would build my own computer because it sounds fun and all, but I've never done it before and I've never seen it done either. It makes me a little nervous when I'm dealing with expensive parts and I'm not 100% on what I'm doing.

randolph4233

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

Since you asked and probably don't know that much I'd suggest you build a cheap entry level PC before considering putting together a higher end one ... if your on your own with the project.

If you have a friend who is reasonably knowledgeable and is prepared to help you then have a go.

Otherwise buy one from a good shop and customised to your specs.

For $1300 US you should be able to get a good quad core PC ( with a 9550 / 9650 ) with a decent graphics setup and a good monitor.

Hope this helps.

You are going to pay a premium for a good gaming PC. If you want to play Crysis on high you will want something in the GTX260/4870 range.

iBuyPower makes good stuff, but you can built it yourself much cheaper. I'd look down that road if you can. It would be a learning experience for you. PC's are SO much easier to put together these days, you don't have to low level format drives, or manually enter the HD information, or set dozens of motherboard jumpers.

Just make a thread and put a PC together and check the parts with us and built you own. vista is all but simple to install. It's WAY easier than XP.

TechTony

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Building your own rig is not as scary as most first timers think that it is. THG is a great place to get help, and the community will almost never lead you wrong.

That said, $1300 US can get you a nice rig, especially building yourself. if you don't want to go that route, try going to ibuypower.com and configuring a system yourself. All the customization, none of the fear.

randolph4233

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

Thanks for the response Jay! I'm really considering building it myself now. I've never done it before, but I'm pretty knowledgeable about computers themselves so it can't be too hard right (famous last words, lol)?

If I do end up building it myself, I think I like the Intel i7 920 processor. Do you think the Intel DX58 motherboard is a good one to go with? Is there a specific Intel DX58 that I should do with or are they the same? If I get that motherboard with the i7 processor, what graphics card do you recommend? Again, I'm looking for longevity in my system, and to be able to play Crysis on high settings, if not maxed out.

Thanks again for your time and insight Jay! I really appreciate it!

randolph4233

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

Thanks for the advice Tony! I'm beginning to think that building myself might be the way to go. I have a friend that knows computers very well, and he may even know how to put them together so we'll see.

If I do build it myself, I think I'm going to buy the Intel i7 920 processor. Do you think that combined with the Intel dx58 motherboard is a good place to start? If so what graphics card do you recommend? Again, I'm looking to play Crysis on very high setting, if not maxed out, and also longevity with my system. My last computer (Dell Dimension 4600) lasted me five years, and I'm hoping to match or exceed that (with subtle additions along the way of course).

Thanks for the insight Tony! I need all the help I can get!

randolph4233

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

someone on a different forum told me that crysis will run better on a 2 cores as opposed to four, any truth to that? I've always been under the impression that quad core is that way to go if you want better performance and longevity with your system.

randolph4233

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

someone on a different forum told me that crysis will run better on a 2 cores as opposed to four, any truth to that? I've always been under the impression that quad core is that way to go if you want better performance and longevity with your system.

The truth is most games do not take advantage of more than 2 cores, there are some that do. But if you have a dual core e8400 running at 4ghz as opposed to a 3.0GHz quad core, games usually run better on the higher clocked CPU.

randolph4233

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

so if I don't build it myself, the link you sent me is a computer that will last a long time and play Crysis on very high settings? Thanks again man I really appreciate it!

TechTony

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009

That. And the iBuyPower rig from Newegg that Jay linked too looks like a good rig to me. It should take a good bite right out of Crysis. i7 with a 285 in it normally does a very nice job of cutting that little game down to size.

randolph4233

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

Tell me what you think about this setup:

MSI X58-PRO Intel X58 CrossFire Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, Triple-Channel DDR3, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Triple PCI-E MB
Intel i7 920
6GB RAM (2GBx3) DDR3-1600 Triple Memory Module
NVidia Geforce GTX 285 2GB w/DVI + Tv Out
500 GB hard drive
Vista Home Premium 64
650 Watt PSU

The only thing is that I'm playing on a 22" HD monitor and I don't know if I'm overdoing it on the specs. I want to play Crysis on very high settings, but I'm a little over my price range. Thoughts?

randolph4233

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

Tell me what you think about this setup:

MSI X58-PRO Intel X58 CrossFire Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, Triple-Channel DDR3, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Triple PCI-E MB
Intel i7 920
6GB RAM (2GBx3) DDR3-1600 Triple Memory Module
NVidia Geforce GTX 285 2GB w/DVI + Tv Out
500 GB hard drive
Vista Home Premium 64
650 Watt PSU

The only thing is that I'm playing on a 22" HD monitor and I don't know if I'm overdoing it on the specs. I want to play Crysis on very high settings, but I'm a little over my price range. Thoughts?

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
For a gaming rig, before you decide on a CPU and GPU, it's helpful to know what monitor and resolution you will be playing on. If it's a 22" at 1680 X 1050 which is what I play Crysis and Far Cry 2 on, the GTX 260 and e8400 at 3.2 GHz ( 8 x 400 fsb) on high settings and 2 X AA is plenty fast and smooth for me. At the same resolution, Call of Duty 4 can run max'd out on settings on an 8800 GTS 512. If you're on a budget, no reason to pay double for a GTX 285 when your monitor won't get the full benefits of that video card.

I would get a motherboard that supports both Crossfire and SLI, for the simple fact that in the future you have flexibility. I have the ASUS P6T and love it. Can you give a little more info on these items? Are you looking to price out your own rig to save money? 650W is fine with this system, but you BETTER make sure it's a quality PSU or you will have issues.

randolph4233

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

Thanks for the response! That is the resolution I play at (if that is the highest setting for a 22" monitor. I can't check cause my desktop is dead now, lol). If I was going to upgrade to a 24" monitor at it's highest res, would you suggest the gtx 285? I'm really looking for longevity, giving myself options for the future. However, if the gtx 260 would still do the trick I might head in that direction. Please keep the insight coming :)

randolph4233

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

Thanks for sticking with me on this forum! I really appreciate it! I've done some more tinkering and this is what I've come up with so far. Please feel free to rip me apart since this is the first gaming PC I've ver built and I really don't have a clue what I'm really doing.

Intel i7 920 processor
(4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
6GB RAM (2GBx3) DDR3-1600 Triple Memory Module (Corsair XMS3 Dominator w/DHX technology) NVidia Geforce GTX 285 2GB w/DVI + Tv Out
500 GB hard drive
Vista Home Premium 64
650 Watt Casegears ECO-Element 80 Plus Certificated High Efficiency Power Supply
IGMATEK Dark Knight 120mm CPU Cooling Fan System H.D.T. (Heat-pipe direct touch) technology CoolerMaster Cool Master CM 690 Gaming Tower Case
22" Westinghouse HD monitor

Now if you think that my set up isn't right, my other options are:

Motherboard:
Asus P6T Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 3-Way SLI PCI-E MB 3-Way SLI [+ $25]

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Dual Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Three PCI-E MB [+ $117]

MSI X58-PRO Intel X58 CrossFire Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, Triple-Channel DDR3, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Triple PCI-E MB [currently equiped]

MSI Eclipse SLI Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Dual Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Three PCI-E MB [+ $180]

EVGA X58 SLI Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 3-Way SLI PCI-E MB 3-Way SLI [+ $135]

PSU:
650 Watt -- Casegears ECO-Element 80 Plus Certificated High Efficiency Power Supply SLI Ready
650 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-650TX Power Supply SLI Ready [+ $30]
700 Watt -- Power Supply SLI Ready [+ $0]
750 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-750TX Power Supply Quad SLI Ready [+ $55]

Graphics Card:
I didn't know if the GTX 285 would be best for this build, or if I should go with 2x 4850 1gig in crossfire, or would 2x 4870 1gig in crossfire? Or maybe you can recommend something even better for the build?

^
MOBO - I think the ASUS P6T mobo is a good investment for +25 because it lets you have crossfire or SLI. Most people keep their mobo longer than their video and this gives you options in the furture.

PSU - I have never heard of a Casegear brand PSU. I would stick with the Corsair 650TX, it is a proven PSU and solid.

Graphics - This is honestly your preference. The GTX 285 is a REALLY sweet, but expensive card. My buddy has one and it just SCREAMS. If you do Crossfire with (2) 4850 or 4870's I would not get the 1GB cards. The 512MB cards are quite a bit cheaper and you won't see much benefit from the 1GB cards for the cost. The Corsair 650 would run (2) 4850's but you might think about a 750 for (2) 4870's.

Monitor - Yeah.. No Westinghouse please. Stick with a know gaming brand. Acer, Asus, Samsung, etc.