I7 build...gonna build soon...advice plz

waynec121

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Hey guys...I've read great things on this forum and many of you seem very knowledgeable. I am going to be building my first computer soon and am going with the i7 to be future proof. After reading countless threads on i7 builds I've gathered a good list and want some input on anything about it. Also I want to make sure everything is compatible and will run fine together. Thanks in advance!!! Heres the list:

i7 920 - CPU
ASUS P6T Deluxe - MOBO
750W Corsair 750TX - PSU
6GB (3 X 2GB) G. Skill DDR3 - RAM
EVGA gtx 280 1 GB - GPU
NZXT Temptest - CASE
TRUE 1336 - COOLER
WD Cav Black 640 GB - HDD
Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium - OS
DVD Drive- Any suggestions?

Thats the build I have put together! Am I missing anything? I do not need a mouse or keyboard or monitor just to clarify. Any input would be awesome! Thanks.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Looks great.

Pick up some MX-2 Arctic cooling thermal paste for that cooler.

If you think you will SLI later, then you need an 850-900w PSU for 2 GTX 280's. Get the Corsair 850tx in that case. If you aren't going to SLI in the future, then that PSU is fine.

The case is good, I just don't like how it looks so I would go with an Antec 900 or CM 690, but if you like it then keep it.

DVD drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136153

Otherwise, all good.

waynec121

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Thanks guys, yea I might change the case and the power supply to an 850tx. Everything else should be pretty solid. I was really considering the Antec p182 case it seems extremely solid and I love the simple, sophisticated look. Do you guys think all the components will fit well?

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
From my experience, the P182 is a great case but it can be a PITA
Especially the PSU bay. Very cramped with that fan there. It can be a tight fit at times, like the Mobo takes up the whole upper area basically which is too little for my taste, but its dead silent and as u said "a sophisticated" look. Especially as a workstation

waynec121

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
From research I am just going to go with the NZXT Tempest Case...it is also cheaper which is a plus. I priced everything out and it is about 1700 for everything. I even threw in a Eclipse keyboard, g5 mouse, and Vista Home Premium 64bit. This should be a pretty sweet build...oh and does anyone know if there is a such thing as white cold cathodes?? Thanks

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Ahh very good build almost the same as mine but i had a bit of a tighter budget then you (had to decide between an i7 or eating at college for the next few weeks, the i7 won and i'm going to need new belts :) ) anyways you can get White Cold Cathodes, not to my taste but hey! what ever makes you happy! heres an example http://www.xoxide.com/dual-white-cold-cathode-kit.html... anyways good luck!

waynec121

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
haha thats pretty funny...I would probably choose the i7 over food too omega. Yea I should have this ready to build pretty soon...once i get my tax refund and save up a little more its time to build. the cathodes are not that big of a deal...i just need to give this beast some light!!! thanks guys

TRENDING THREADS