My First Build Black Screen Problem

Dan4451

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
First off I just want to say I love Toms Hardware whenever I got a computer issue I always find myself on this site. So anyway, I ordered some parts off on Newegg to build myself a computer and as usual I got a problem. After putting everything together and ready to go I turn on the monitor and hit the power button on the computer, unfortunately I get a black screen. The LED's work, all the fans work i don't know what to do.

Possible issues

-I thought it was my PSU mabye its a 550W (details at part list) i used http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp and rang up 517W... =P

-I noticed when i put my Hard Drive in there was no jumper on any of the pins maybe that's the issue?

-Also, i was trolling some forum and saw a post about a "CPU AUX power" I don't recall anything of the sort while building my machine today maybe that is the problem

Part list

- Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
- ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
- EVGA 512-P3-N973-TR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
- Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
- G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
- Western Digital Caviar GP WD5000AACS 500GB 5400 to 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
- LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner
- ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

here is the url for part info https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=5955372

I am sure this is a popular problem in the world of first-builders. I really hope you guys can give me a hand =)

Thanks guys,
Dan4451

That's probably it.

Here is a little cut and paste I keep around now :)

New build didn't boot checklist

1. Did you plug in the 4/8 pin power connector to the board, located near the CPU?

2. Did you install the standoffs under the motherboard? Did you place them so that they all align with the screw holes in the motherboard, with no standoffs touching the board in the wrong place?

3. Did you verify that the video card is fully seated? (may require more force than a new builder expects.)

4. Did you attach all the required power connectors to the video card? (some need two, some need none, many need one.)

5. Did you verify that all memory modules are fully inserted? (may require more force than a new builder expects.)

6. Did you remove the plastic guard over the CPU socket? (this actually comes up occasionally.)

7. If using an after market CPU cooler, did you get any cooling paste on the board? Did you use the smallest amount you could?

8. Is the CPU fan plugged in?

9. If using a stock cooler, was the thermal material on the base of the cooler free of foreign material, and did you remove any protective covering?

10. Are any loose screws laying on the motherboard, or jammed against it?

You'll notice what number one is :p

Dan4451

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
thanks guys I appreciate it! I am still worried about the jumper on my Hard Drive. Also, will my PSU hold the system together?

BTW, Nice checklist Prox

Thanks agian guys!

Dan4451

We would have never recommended the PSU. It could be a problem, but you have it now, might as well try. Any instabilities you run into COULD be attributed to that though.

I'm not sure what you are looking at on your HD. SATA drives do not have jumpers as far as I recall.