Hi. I bought my system about ayear ago now and have started to notice slowdown in some of the most recent games. I play at a 1680x1050 res. I am thinking of an update to my GPU but not sure its a big jump up from what i have. Is it worth me waiting for the 'next round'?
I'll try to list my specs as best as i can remember off the top of my head:
P182 case - Can this accomodate a larger card than my current?
Abit IP35 pro
4GB OCZ Reaper
BFG 8800 GTS 512
650W PSU - Can't remember exactly which but i know its corsair and its on of their good ones!!
If you are looking for someone to encourage you to spend your money then I say go ahead and get 285 GTX or at least a 260 GTX 216. Otherwise, the 8800 GTS 512 is a decent performer at 1680x1050 just turn down some of the settings in demanding titles until the next round of new cards come out.
If you really want a little more performance without spending a fortune; here is a nice card that will handle 1680x1050 and the newer titles with ease for $144 (w/ MIR). You could grab a second card later for Xfire of a Nehalem build and stay game competitive for a long time.
@ SACOOPS: Depends on how big an improvement you want, how much hardware you already have and how much you want to spend.
I usually wait about 18 month to 2 years from the purchase of the card I`m thinking of upgrading, but then again, I buy one or two tiers below top (current card 512 Mb HD4870 bought last June).