Sign in with
Your question

SATA HDD won't boot without IDE HDD

Last response: in Storage
August 8, 2010 2:41:21 PM

Hello guys,

I have an WDAAKS 500 GB HDD on SATA II and a Maxtor 40 Gb HDD on IDE. The operating system was on the Maxtor drive and the WD was used for storage. Few weeks ago, I formated the Maxtor HDD and installed WI XP OS on the WD one.

Today, I wanted to take out the IDE HDD to put it in other system but after I start again the PC, it tells me after detecting the devices that I need to insert media CD or select a proper boot after restarting the system.

I tried to make the WD first HDD to boot instead of Maxtor, even switched the primary master IDE to my DVD-RW Asus and disconnected the Maxtor but still it won't boot.

What can be the problem?

I seek the answer as soon as possible !
Thank you !

More about : sata hdd boot ide hdd

August 9, 2010 9:29:40 AM

Is there no one here that can help me out?
August 9, 2010 9:52:35 AM

Check the options in the BIOS for boot order. What are the options?
Re-check them!
Also, what are your settings for SATA?
Related resources
August 9, 2010 9:57:25 AM

darkguset said:
Check the options in the BIOS for boot order. What are the options?
Re-check them!
Also, what are your settings for SATA?

In bios, it is hard disk first and that is my WD hard disk. From the hard disk order at the IDE settings, I choses the WD one first instead of the Maxtor but still no result.

My WD is on SATA1 from the 2 SATA ports if this is what you are asking. I have an ASROCK P4VM900-SATA2 as MB. I hope this helped.
a b G Storage
August 9, 2010 11:54:04 AM

dedantemon said:
Hello guys,

I have an WDAAKS 500 GB HDD on SATA II and a Maxtor 40 Gb HDD on IDE. The operating system was on the Maxtor drive and the WD was used for storage. Few weeks ago, I formated the Maxtor HDD and installed WI XP OS on the WD one.

Today, I wanted to take out the IDE HDD to put it in other system but after I start again the PC, it tells me after detecting the devices that I need to insert media CD or select a proper boot after restarting the system.

I tried to make the WD first HDD to boot instead of Maxtor, even switched the primary master IDE to my DVD-RW Asus and disconnected the Maxtor but still it won't boot.

What can be the problem?

I seek the answer as soon as possible !
Thank you !

The master boot record was on the Maxtor 40 GB. Disconnect the Maxtor and boot with your OS DVD and run the REPAIR option. That should re-create a new master boot record on the WD, allowing your system to boot from that drive. Set your DVD as the priamry boot device, you can change it to the WD after your run the repair option.
August 9, 2010 12:42:26 PM

mikey5802 said:
The master boot record was on the Maxtor 40 GB. Disconnect the Maxtor and boot with your OS DVD and run the REPAIR option. That should re-create a new master boot record on the WD, allowing your system to boot from that drive. Set your DVD as the priamry boot device, you can change it to the WD after your run the repair option.

I would like to know if something will be deleted from my PC cuz I newer used the repair option and ~ how much time it will take. My OS on my CD is XP SP2, not SP3 while my OS on my WD HDD is SP3 because it updated. It will do something to it?

Thank you !
a c 357 G Storage
August 9, 2010 8:12:04 PM

So, here's how this likely happened. Although it won't tell you this, several Windows Install routines do a special process when there are TWO drives installed at the time the OS Install runs. It will make a secret backup copy of the OS on the OTHER drive so that, if ever your main drive's version of the OS is damaged, it can restore it from the secret backup. BUT this means that every time the machine boots, it MUST be able to find that OTHER drive still attached, or it can't boot! By disconnecting the Maxtor you deprived it of that secret backup on the other drive.

Now, I assume that, when you Installed the Win XP on the WD unit, you used the Install CD you had with SP2 included, and that is what you are running on now. The fact that the Maxtor has an updated SP3 on it does not matter. the Repair Install that Mikey5802 recommends should fix this. It will only be able to work on the WD unit if you do this right.

It is important that, when you run the Repair Install, the Maxtor should NOT be connected. That way the process will detect that key components are missing on the (only) WD unit and replace them.

NOTE that you do NOT do a normal Install from the CD. It starts up that way, but right at the start you must choose the Repair Install option instead.

Once you've got it back to working without the Maxtor, I encourage you to update to SP3 on your WD.
a b G Storage
August 10, 2010 12:10:12 AM

dedantemon said:
I would like to know if something will be deleted from my PC cuz I newer used the repair option and ~ how much time it will take. My OS on my CD is XP SP2, not SP3 while my OS on my WD HDD is SP3 because it updated. It will do something to it?

Thank you !

No, it won't delete anything. The process will try to repair the master boot record and copy/install any files needed by the OS to boot from that drive.

Timewise, not very long and it doesn't matter which version of the OS you have.

Just run the repair. I've had to do that procedure several times when trying to recover from/remove dual boot setups.
August 10, 2010 5:45:30 AM

@Paperdoc

On my Maxtor, indeed I had an OS with SP 3 like I have now on the WD. The only difference is that on the Maxtor I used an CD with OS SP3 already (that I do not have it anymore) while on the WD I used an CD with SP2 OS but the OS got updated to SP3 via windows updates.

Thank you for the information about the secret backup, didn't know about this oO

@mikey5802

Thank you and I will try this and later tell what happened :) 
August 11, 2010 7:02:18 AM

Ok, I inserted the OS CD but didn't had any repair options (I could use the automatic repair by pressing F2 but it required a floppy disk..) only instal/delete partition

So the only option was to re-instal the OS without the Maxtor conected.

Now all is good :) 

Thank you all for the help !
August 11, 2010 9:25:14 AM

there's no secret backup or *** . wtf:/
!