I7-920 + GTX260 do I need a new psu?

spurdy

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Hi,

I'm planning on a new pc, using I7 920 core. GTX260, with Triple Channel ram. I'm limited on how much money to spend so that basic setup with a I7 mobo will run me dry. So I'm wondering if my current 3 year old PSU 480W Antec. Would be enough to run this? only buying 1 card for now. So Obvously Id update it when I buy more cards, but for 1 card will it be enough?

I see all kinds of conflicting views on this issue. would like to find out for sure if it's possible.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide. :)

Ciao,
Shawn

stonebattle

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I would say you should be ok with the old power supply as long as you only plan to run one hard drive, one DVD drive and don't have any other cards added. You should be running less than or about 80% of the power supplies rating if this is the case.

Check out your power supply's specification. Make sure it has dual 12V outputs with about 16 amps per output, and has short circuit and overvoltage protection on each output.

When you get the system up and running, check out the bios. It should have a section where you can check the voltage levels of your power supply. If any of the voltages are more than 10% below rating, turn the unit off and get a new power supply.

You're not there yet. Many and perhaps most motherboards come with software that will measure the voltage levels over a certain period of time. Install the software and set it to monitor your system. Check the voltage levels out before you place the system under load. That is, play games or use other intensive software. If you see any of the voltages below 10% of their rated value, get a new power supply.

Set up the software to monitor the system voltage levels for about 10 minutes. Play a game or use intensive software for a short period of time. If any of the 12V supplies fall 15% ( some say 10% and some say 20%, but I don't know 15% seems like the right number to me) below 12V or any of the other voltages drop below 10% of their rating, replace the power supply.

Good luck

spurdy

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009

Really? lol

Man best psu i've ever owned. Never has dipped even slightly in 3 years. and remains the only pc in my house that actually stays running during a power glitch lol. Mostly the reason for not buying one is I'll literally be broke with those other componets lol. :( But I may have to figure something out.

@stonebattle.

wouldn't the 16amps be spread across the 12V and 5V ? I don't think it be pulling 16amps!! just on the 12V?

The PSU I have is the Antec 480W True Blue. So maybe that'll help.

Thanks for the information. :)

Yes really , lol
The Truepower was better than the Smartpower, but still lowend by todays standards, especially considering it's a 6 year old design.
I've built quite a few machine's using Antec power supplies ( EA380,430 and 500, TPT 550 and 650, and NeoHE 550's ) I have a great deal of respect for them.
Your Trueblue with a 22 amp 12v rail just isn't going to cut it for a coreI7 system with a GTX260.

spurdy

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009

hehe well I see what you mean :) something that old will look like anicent technology but that doesen't really mean its bad though hehe.

Yeah I was looking at the 22amp's I guess I'll have to figure something out, cause if I'm going to buy a psu I'll buy something atleast good for 2 cards. Do you have any suggestions ? :)

I've sort of been out of the loop for a few years. I usually only do research when I need to buy something. And go for quality>performance>price So to me to an I7 system is the smartest move to make right now. Even though Its going to be tight lol. I was thinking

850W POWER ATX CORSAIR TX
70amp 12v

Or
850W POWER ATX OCZ GAMEXSTREAM SLI
18amp x4

spurdy

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009

Yeah duel. Thanks! :)

Board will support 3 but I dunno if I'll actually ever use 3 lol. So meh. probably won't

I was looking at the Antec too. Will have to see if I can afford it. I like Antec too lol :D

Thanks for your help Appreicated :D