Northbridge cooler on the EVGA X58 SLI

MikeJRamsey

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Now that I am looking at the EVGA X58 SLI can somebody tell me about how the Northbridge (X58) is cooled? How good is the stock cooler? Does it support add-on coolers? Are the two mounting holes available?

Thank you,
Mike Ramsey

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I have the "vanilla" or E758 model. There's a fan blowing away from the PCIe slots towards the CPU area. NB temps won't be a concern at all, mine right now is idling at 30C, with 70F ambient.

MikeJRamsey

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009

Flyin15sec,
Thank you.

I finally got a good look at the NB cooler. It is pretty substantial. The heat sink itself stands tall, but rather than a fan installed on top, it's installed on the side next to the heat sink. Inside is a leaf-blower style fan that exhausts air through the heat sink.

I am going to be putting all this inside a Cooler Master HAF 932 case so there will be plenty of air flow.

Has anybody out there felt the need to replace the Northbridge cooler on the EVGA X58 SLI MOBO? If so, why? And with what?

Mike

EvilPepe

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
I also have an EVGA X58 "vanilla" but on mine the fan blows away from CPU and towards PCIe. Im running 2 8800gt's in Sli using top and bottom slots. The top card is always 8deg warmer than bottom. This becomes a real problem under load and as such i often have to turn down graphics in order to keep heat on the cards down top card can hit 80degs while bottom is at 72.