Price decreases on Core i7 and associated components?

buildnewpc2009

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Just figured I'd see what people thought about this issue.

I'm planning to build a new core i7 PC, but I have a laptop that I'm using now so I don't need the PC immediately. However, I don't want to build this thing next winter either. I'm willing to wait a couple months.

I know the core i7 and it's associated components like X58 motherboards just came out in the end of 2008. So it's understandable that they are expensive.

What do you guys think based on other price trends in PC parts in the past, if I wait for a couple months, do you think that these parts will be much cheaper? Or do you think they won't change price at all.

For reference, here's the major parts of setup I'm thinking.

Core i7 920
Asus P6T Deluxe
G Skill 6 GB RAM (3 X 2GB)
ATI Radeon 4870 1 GB
WD Velociraptor 300GB OS/Program Drive
Caviar Black 750 Data Drive
Corsair 750 Power Supply
Antec 1200 Case
Vista Home Premium 64 bit

What do you guys think? If the Core i7 came out in the beginning of 2008, I wouldn't be asking this question, but given that it came out right at the end of last year, I'm wondering if waiting 2-3 months won't mean a few hundred dollars.

You can save a few hundred dollars right now, and get an even better gaming experience too.

Q9550
GA-EP45-UD3P
G.Skill PI Black DDR2-800 2x2GB
HD 4870 X2 2GB
WD6401AALS
PC Power & Cooling 750W
RC-690
Vista Home Premium 64 bit

If you really want the setup in your post, sure, wait 3 months and it will be cheaper. The DDR3 and the hard drives will probably drop the most.