HELP! How is this watercooling setup?

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Hello, I have to aim to watercool a system consisting of a i7-930 and 2 ATI 5970s in a Corsair 800D case.
Planning to run two loops, so far i have put together these parts, and just wanted to hear you guys if i'm missing something, or other parts would be better and stuff. (Haven't bought anything yet)

CPU Waterblock Swiftech APOGEE XT

GPU Waterblocks 2x EK 5970 Full Cover - Acetal/Nickel

2x Black Ice® GT Stealth 360 XFlow (Not sure about these)

2x Swiftech MCP350™ 12 VDC Pump

Bitspower Premium G1/4" Black Matte High Flow 3/8"

EK-D5 Dual TOP 2-LOOPS

Tygon 3603 3/8" ID (5/8" OD)

I am gonna need some good but quiet fans, my aim is to have a SUPER quiet, yet very high performing watercooled PC.
Also, not sure about the reservoirs, if its gonna be 2 tubes or 2 bays. I am not much for drilling holes in my case.

I guess This could be a alternative, yet i heard that the EK-D5 Dual TOP 2-LOOPS is giving better performance. This is my first watercooling setup i'm about to make, so please be kind and help me out.

Just out of curiosity, have you looked into the performance of dual 5970s? It looks great on paper, but in practice it doesn't always work out too well. You might consider going SLI GTX480 instead. Just sayin.

On the WC side of things, looks decent. I don't know about how those rads would fit in the case. Plus like delluser said, those are high FPI rads. You might want to look at the swiftech mcr320 quiet as they are low FPI rads. You can get one Stack version, and run them in parallel or series stacked on top of eachother, separated by fans plus intake fans and even exhaust if you want (so 9 fans for 2 rads). As long as they're quiet fans...

As for the actual loop, you might also consider running single loop with the MCP655 which is a really powerful pump, and go res->pump->cpu->rad->gpus(you can go in series or parallel)->rad->res

As for a res, if money isn't a big deal then it might be worthwhile to get a good, big dual bay resevoir. From your link, that one doesn't even look like a resevoir. I'm not sure what it is actually. How about something like this http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=38014&vpn=3830046994233&manufacture=EK%20Water%20Blocks?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I run a single MCP655 through a D-tek v2, SLI MCW60's, dual MCR320's and a couple of custom made reservoirs. I don't know how restrictive those full cover EK blocks are, but either go dual loops with 2 *separate* MCP355's (I think that top actually merges 2 pumps into a series pump) or a single loop with 1 MCP655.

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Thanks for that, I have decided to take the XSPC Rads.

I'm a little confused about tubing and fitting sizes ID and OD.

The most commonly used thread size seems to be 1/4. What is the most commonly used tubing size (ID and OD) for best cooling performance?

The thread size for fittings , "G 1/4", is pretty much standard.
Fitting size is based on tubing ID ( inner diameter ) for barbs, ID and OD ( kinda obvious, no ? ) when compression fittings are used.
Thicker walled tubing has less tendency to kink.
Most common size seems to be 1/2 " ID so;
Fittings G1/4 x 1/2 ( barbs )
Tubing 1/2 ID x 3/4 OD
would be my reccomendation, but the 3/8 x 5/8 you originally spec'd would work as well.

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Call me stupid if you want, I can't get the pieces together. What i meant was, I thought that the cpu would have a loop for itself and the gpus a loop for themselves, when the pumps are connected from 2 inlets and outlets into 1, then it would all become a single loop pretty much?