Sign in with
Your question

My 5850 freezes all the time (HELP!?)

Last response: in Overclocking
August 6, 2010 9:27:52 PM

My graphics card ASUS Radeon HD 5850
Is allways freezing when im playing css.
My temp is good.
It is under 60C on 100% load. (50 % fan usage)

Is there anything that can help?
I need to get the freeze away.
Version of Catalyst: 10.7

Games that freezes:
CS:Source
CS:1.6
MW2
BFBC2
etc.

SYSTEM:
CPU: Intel Core 2 duo E8500
RAM: Corsair TWIN2X PC8500 DDR2
OS HDD: Western Digital Green caviar
Random 750W PSU

HELP!?

More about : 5850 freezes time

a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 6, 2010 9:44:54 PM

Well it could be the "random 750W PSU" since a 5850 can suck up 50A...

Are you getting any error messages? Something like "ATIkwlkdfp has reset" or whatever it might be?

Have you tried running FurMark to see how that goes? What kind of temps and whether it crashes after 5-10 minutes.

If it was only CSS, I'd say a possible game issue but if it's also other games, it might just be a driver issue. You might have success if you first run "Add/Remove Programs" and delete all ATI driver stuff, also if you have any NV drivers make sure to get rid of those. Boot up in Safe Mode, and run Driver Sweeper to make sure you get rid of them, plus CCleaner (You'll want to download them before hand). After that reboot normally and try reinstalling 10.7.

Have you overclocked anything?
August 6, 2010 10:31:38 PM

"NV drivers"?
I have tested furmark.
Temp was 45C max
Furmark does not notise anything like that. OCCT does not either.
I allready deleted the ATI stuff and installed it back up again (after rs ofc).
It was not overclocked there. But i tried overclocking it before.
And it got abit unstable :( 
I have deleted everything afterward also.

Any other tips?

Related resources
a c 208 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2010 10:47:34 PM

Your PSU is the likely culprit. Although it is rated at 750w, it simply may not be up to the task. If you have access to another PSU, I recommend you swap them in the attempt to isolate the problem. These are classic symptoms of a failing or under-powered PSU. Good luck!!!
August 6, 2010 11:44:46 PM

I dont have any other PSU at the moment.
Everything has worked perfectly until yesturday :( 
I dont understand why :s
If i get a new PSU can i clock it then you think?
a c 208 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2010 2:39:22 AM

It is possible. A quality PSU will provide more consistent power to the system. This is key to system stability, especially when stressing the system with the additional heat (consumed power) generated by OCing.

You certainly can't OC with bad power. Good luck!!!
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 7, 2010 4:29:44 AM

Yeah, the PSU was the first thing to spring to my mind. Can you find out exactly which PSU it is? Just pop open the case and have a look.

If you want a new PSU, you could easily get by with say a Corsair or Antec 550W assuming you don't plan to get more cards down the road. I'm running a Corsair 750TX, and it really has a lot of juice. OCed i5 750, two OCed 5850s in CF, a GT 240 for PhysX, and an AuzenTech Bravura sound card, plus 5 fans, 2 HDDs, DVD... yeah, it's powering a lot but it's a great PSU.
August 7, 2010 11:46:53 AM

Now my graphics card turns off and on (Lost contact with your're graphics card) and then it turned on again.
it can take up to 3 min until it turns on or says that it lost contact :sss
I think the PSU is NorthQ (Old one)
I build my computer myself. got my brothers old psu.
I'm trying to find a 750W northq, corsair or something like that cheap some place :]
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2010 10:47:19 PM

NOOOO Don't go corsair, those stupid corsair people XD Although i love corsair. Pricey it is. XFX has great budget and 80+ PSUs. There XFX 750 watt Black Edition is an example. Which is a 750 watt, its a 80+ Silver and its modular XD for 129.99 at newegg and a 20$ rebate making it 109.99$. The 750HX on the other hand is the same ratings and 149.99 + 20$ MIR which still makes it more expensive than the XFX.

IF you find that to be to expensive, the XFX 650 watt 80+ bronze is a great budget PSU, it's modular, and is only 99.99$ plus a 20$ MIR which makes it 79.99.

XFX 650: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX 750: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
August 8, 2010 11:56:32 PM

I stopped reading after Asus...

Asus is the worst maker of graphic devices. All their offerings are badly designed and, most o time, completely unable to do what they are advertised to do.

I got screwed 3 time recently, but the G73jh-A1 is the product that make me wish Asus go bankrupt. At least they will stop making half rushed untested products and screw the customers with them.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2010 12:10:40 AM

Asus is a great graphics maker.... Maybe not back then but there CuCore is great, also why say anything if its hardly relevent to his question?
August 9, 2010 12:11:05 AM

Your power supply is by far not a problem... it doesn't mean you should not invest in a good one anyway.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5850-review-cro...

You only need 40 amp on a single 12V rail which is easily obtain on any 750W PS. My old 525W ModXstream was able to provide 30 amp.

Go check Asus forum and try to find if you are the only one having this problem... for an obvious reason, I am sure that you aren't... Asus did it again...
August 9, 2010 12:18:55 AM

aznshinobi said:
Asus is a great graphics maker.... Maybe not back then but there CuCore is great, also why say anything if its hardly relevent to his question?

LOL... okay... come back to me when you actually buy some of their products. Their coolers are horrible and their quality control is the worst I have seen in the industry.

I bought a 2000$ gaming laptop from Asus that crash over and over because of temperature, bad drivers and bad hardware quality. I need to RMA ASAP, but I am far from home until September.

I like my gaming laptop that doesn't game... frigging waste of money.

By the way... 4850 someone...?

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16229/4
a c 208 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2010 12:20:23 AM

If the PSU is defective, it doesn't matter what it is supposed to produce if it flakes out. The symptoms are definitely of the PSU variety. Even great PSUs die before their time, I should know since I am in the process of RMAing a Zalman ZM750-HP, a so-called premium PSU that just started intermittently failing. It happens.

On the Asus GPU quality question, I would have to disagree with my esteemed forum member. I have had several Asus GPUs over the years and can honestly say I never had a problem with any of them. Not to say that they can't die, like any other brand.
August 13, 2010 5:49:07 PM

I really want that 750W XFX but that site could not ship to norway :<
Can anyone find a site that can ship to norway for the sime price? (or less) THX

crunzaty
August 13, 2010 8:23:24 PM

redgarl said:
I stopped reading after Asus...

Asus is the worst maker of graphic devices. All their offerings are badly designed and, most o time, completely unable to do what they are advertised to do.

I got screwed 3 time recently, but the G73jh-A1 is the product that make me wish Asus go bankrupt. At least they will stop making half rushed untested products and screw the customers with them.

ASUS actualy has the best coolers of the 5850 series.
It's cold. It's silent. It works good!
August 13, 2010 8:51:44 PM

I just ordered a Corsair HX1000 yesterday, if you're located in Norway I would suggest Komplett.no ;)  (Jag beställer alltid via komplett.se btw) They have their warehouse located in Norway!
August 13, 2010 9:31:27 PM

njure said:
I just ordered a Corsair HX1000 yesterday, if you're located in Norway I would suggest Komplett.no ;)  (Jag beställer alltid via komplett.se btw) They have their warehouse located in Norway!

I know, Komplett.no<3
But i found a new PSU from Amentio.no 750W Cheftec Modular :]
a b U Graphics card
a c 182 K Overclocking
August 14, 2010 11:25:36 AM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Corsair HX 750 it's an awesome psu made by Channel Well Technology and contrary to popular belief it's 80+ GOLD certified.
http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_join.aspx
Don't believe everything you read on Newegg lol!
Now getting back to your original problem i would investigate a few things first.
1.Memtest my ram
2.reset/clear your CMOS
3.try CCC 10.4 it's stable
August 14, 2010 2:48:32 PM

davcon said:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Corsair HX 750 it's an awesome psu made by Channel Well Technology and contrary to popular belief it's 80+ GOLD certified.
http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_join.aspx
Don't believe everything you read on Newegg lol!
Now getting back to your original problem i would investigate a few things first.
1.Memtest my ram
2.reset/clear your CMOS
3.try CCC 10.4 it's stable

My ram is all fine, my bios is all fine.
I will install Catalyst 10.4 when i reformate my computer and raid my 2 HDD's
August 16, 2010 3:34:25 PM

I had some issues with my 5870 also
But after good testing i found few reasons for my problem

1. the psu corsair 600w was not giving enough juice i replaced mine with a 700w OCZ and runs like a cannon now

2. I got random crashes with CCC installed, so not to install CCC you dont need it for anything.

3. Recommended version 10.5 or 10.7a beta again download only the driver

Then let us know if you can play fine
At present my system runs super stable even oc 900/1300 easy without crashing on driver 10.7a

If you play Sc2 the 10.7a is a must it fixes the overheating problem.
August 20, 2010 5:40:22 PM

I got my 750W psu from chieftec today. gonna test it as soon as possible.
(moving out)
Im gonna install only the driver 10.4 i think.
i will test everything :]
August 21, 2010 9:50:08 PM

Now it works all fine.
And i oc'ed my gpu 1.1 Volt 800 Core Clock 1200 Memory clock.
I'll test more when i get back home!
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 22, 2010 6:54:41 AM

You shouldn't really need any extra voltage to hit 800 core.

On my 5850s, I got 875 on stock volts. 1.115V for 920. But yeah, it's fun keep at it :D 
August 22, 2010 9:17:53 AM

Just say what i should try then :D 
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 22, 2010 8:49:32 PM

Well, generally speaking just make small (25-50mhz) increases until you get either artifacts or a crash (the card has to be warmed up for a few minutes). Once that happens, then you need to increase voltage but just watch the temps (use GPUZ, it will show all the temp sensors. Sometimes the VRM will cause it to crash at high temps even tho the core shows a reasonable temp)
September 24, 2010 9:42:23 AM

yeah, you sould try to find yourself a new PSu, a good PSU...^_~
!